We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
870 reviews
Save Topic
Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

What is Evensong? Is it a Mass or just singing? Is it better than a tour?

I have seen a thread that says that the Ripper tours are not worth it. Is that the concensus ? I saw people say that most of the places are gone and there is high crime in the area.

Also my kids like Harry Potter, but it seems that we are going to Kings Cross station, St Pancreas, and Millinieum bridge and I know about Leathenhall. So does that cover most of the London sites? Also can we purchase an Oyster card at Heathrow? Do we purchase one per person or since we are a family of 4 should we purchase one and all use it? Thank you.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

There is a ton of Ripper Walks to go on, and it all seem pretty cut-throat as if you go on each of their website they all say how they are the "best" and the others are "no good". The one to go on seems to be the ones done by Donald Rumbelow of London Walks. Be warned though that his walks are VERY popular, and since you can just turn, you can end up with over a hundred people. The do sometimes split the group though, which could mean you don't get Donald if you're in the right group.

I wouldn't worry about crime. You're in a large group anyway, so it's even more unlikely anything will happen.

Oh and it's St. Pancras btw.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Oh, and yes, most of the sites have completely changed since 1888.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

And they were a much higher crime area back then, hence these very unpleasant murders. Am I the only one who feels that the Ripper is an unsuitable subject for kids?

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Evensong is an ancient act of worship, involving chants, Bible readings, prayers, a sermon and a hymn. Most of the singing is done by the choir, the congregation is there to worship silently. Or to gaze in wonder/listen in wonder - but it's not 'just singing'.

It lasts under an hour.

It can be glorious.

I wouldn't say it's better than a tour, it's entirely different. For Evensong, you sit for an our but don't wander round. Because it's an act of worship, it's free.

A tour you can wander at will (but not during services) but it costs.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 15:05
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,289 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

>>>Am I the only one who feels that the Ripper is an unsuitable subject for kids?<<

That's a good point. The OP doesn't specify the age of the kids, but seeing as they are interested in seeing Harry Potter locations I'm guessing they're fairly young.

The Ripper murders were VERY gruesome, and such a tour is probably not a good idea for such young children. I think they also show photos too.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Evensong is pretty much the one church service entirely invented by Anglicans after the Reformation. Much of the rest of the Book of Common Prayer more or less took Catholic services, stripped out the theology the Reformation objected to, then recast them in English that replicated the cadences of the Latin but - unlike the Roman Missal's frequent clunkiness - was first roadtested to sound elevating when read aloud. Evensong was concocted by the Reformers - largely I suspect to encourage a second Sunday church attendance by congregations who'd already spent a couple of hours at Matins listening to the sermon (who knows how they'd be desecrating the Sabbath otherwise? Playing football or arguing politics probably)

Possessed of the huge benefits of treading on practically no-one's toes theologically (unlike Mass or the Anglican Eucharist, Evensong involves no controversial issues of doctrine), while combining the most glorious prose in the English language with often stunning music and (surprisingly often) outstanding choirs, it can appeal to absolutely anyone - Christians (of practically any denomination), other monotheists or outright heathens

An amalgam of Vespers and Compline (before the Reformation, forms of worship largely confined to monasteries and therefore rarely accessible to ordinary civilians), it's structured pretty much as Ailidh describes (though sermons aren't universal, while chanted Psalms are). It's almost exclusive these days to churches and cathedrals with First Division choirs and a team of clerics properly trained in diction.

Incidentally, the current popularity of Anglicanism's Evensong has stimulated the popularity of a slightly redesigned Vespers in the better Catholic churches. On a good day, both the singing and the insights of the homily at (Catholic) Westminster Cathedral's Vespers beat Westminster Abbey's Evensong.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

'Evensong is pretty much the one church service entirely invented by Anglicans after the Reformation'.

Yes and no. The Catholic Church had (and has) Benediction, a service that usually took place on Sunday evenings and involves singing. The main difference with evensong is that during benediction the consecrated host, usually in an ornate casing, was taken out and shown to the congregation. Over the years the difference in the style of singing at evensong and benediction also became more pronounced. Both benediction and evensong probably had their origins in vespers, the evening monastic service.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 15:51
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
870 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Thank you for all the information. As a Catholic, I had no idea what an evensong was. The children are teens, but grew up with Harry Potter and read all the books in school. They could probably handle the Ripper tours, although they probably are not going. If it is gory, my husband might be a little questionable.

Can we buy the Oyster cards at Heathrow? Thank you very much.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

As a Catholic, I can tell you that I found Evensong to beautiful and moving, with many similarities to Catholic services. The chior was outstanding and being in Westminster Abbey (we were seated in the pews oppositer the choir) was beautiful. We were hoping to linger and see a bit more of the Abbey, but we were shuffled in and out pretty quickly. You might consider a tour if you want to look around.

Know that it is a solemn religious atmosphere. Dress appropriately for church and make sure the kids can handle themselves.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evensong/ ripper tours/potter tours

Hi,

You've got a lot of replies already, but I believe no one has given you an answer concerning the HP locations.

I went on an HP walking tour organised by Brit Movie Tours, they receive good reviews on TA. I wrote one as well, which is quite lengthy. We were booked on a bus tour, but due to a technical problem with the bus had to content ourselves with walking instead.

Anyway, film locations we have seen: Blackfriars Bridge (background in the movie), Millennium Bridge and St. Pauls, Borough Market (Leaky Cauldron HP3 and up), London Bridge (background in the movie), Leadenhall Market, King's Cross with platform 9 3/4, Cecil Court (street which inspired setbuilders for Diagon Alley) and Great Scotland Yard (street used for several Ministry of Magic locations).

On the bus tour there would be one extra location, according to our guide: a tube station.......well, enough of those in London I think.

I had already visited Millennium Bridge and King's Cross and thought that only Great Scotland Yard and Leadenhall were interesting.

As you already know about Leadenhall and are intending to visit the bridge and train station I don't recommend doing the tour. The Borough Market film location might be tricky to find, but Cecil Court and Great Scotland Yard are on Google Maps and Blackfriars and London bridge are not that important in the movies.

Hope this helps.

Ow, visit the HP Studio Tour in Leavesden, just outside of London ;)

Kind regards,

Sabrina