We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

I keep on hearing SoHo being mentioned but not too sure which area it is. Which tube do i get off?

Is it an interesting area for food and shopping? Are the prices there high or relatively inexpensive?

When i was in NY, their SoHo is really nice, had a collection of boutique shops. Should I expect the same in London?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

Soho is an area bounded by Oxford Street to the north, Regent Street to the west and Shaftesbury Avenue to the south-east.

It consists of mostly bars and restaurants, some offices and residential properties. It also includes Old Compton Street which is the closest thing London has to a gay ghetto. There are a few small shops but it is not really a shopping destination as such. It once had a rather seedy reputation, and there are still some sex shops and the odd prostitute, but the area has been cleaned up somewhat in recent years.

Convenient tube stations (depending on where you are coming from (include Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus and Tottenham Court Road.

Edited: 15 April 2012, 14:10
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

To add to WW's post

timeout.com/london/…soho-area-guide

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

So far as the more intimate facts of its moral and social life are concerned, Soho remains to a very large extent a terra incognita to the outsider.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,221 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

If you are shopping for books there are some good stores on the nearby Charing Cross Road.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

Don't go thinking that London's Soho has anything to do with NY's SoHo. Soho's name has ambiguous origins and the H is never capitalised, whereas NY's SoHo derives from an abbreviation of South of Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soho

I suppose the main shopping street is Carnaby Street - once a trend-setting fashion street but now just has all the same clothing shops as everywhere else. But, it's still nice to wander as it's pedestrianised.

I find streets such as Berwick Street, with its record shops and fruit & veg streetmarket more interesting.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

««whereas NY's SoHo derives from an abbreviation of South of Hudson.»«

Which would put it someplace on Staten Island, I would guess. SOuth of HOuston is what Bayboy means.

London Walks does a Sunday night pub walk in Soho.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,747 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

Read some of the books by Jeffrey Bernard (eg Low Life, Reach for the Ground), that will tell you what Soho used to be like. You will need to be prepared to laugh, cry and be shocked all in one go!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

No capital H involved. (origins are thought to be a 15/16th century hunting cry when the area would have been fields).

Soho is now insofar as you can have one area, very much the centre of London(the UK's) media and entertainment industries so along with film post production houses, agencies, casting agency offices there are offices where TV writing teams work, rehearsal rooms, a couple of theatres and tons of cafes, restaurants and pubs as the area borders the West End theatre district. There are shops, including some quite fantastically daft ones, but there are boutique shops all over London, unlike NY which is much more segregated, so no big deal there. and you are just south or east of Oxford St/Regent St so that is where the 'main's shopping is.

I'm sure you will find more info and specific details in a decent guidebook of which this is one rather topline one.

visitlondon.com/areas/villages/soho-london

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

Yes I did mean South of Houston! Fingers didn't type what my brain was thinking. Thanks for spotting & correcting :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is SOHO and what is there to do?

The Rank Organisation made several documentary cinema film shorts in the 1950s and 60s.

The one below gives an interesting glimpse (in colour) of some Soho streets, coffee bars and meeting places in 1959

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nsRHHcq1P8