We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

Virginia
Level Contributor
605 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

I wasn't sure where to post my query because it isn't strictly London but I know some posters have a London stay before/after their car rental & journey outside of London. So perhaps they can offer advice.

We're returning to London in Sept for 9 nights & then we're picking up a rental car at Heathrow for 5 days of exploring East Anglia. I'm so excited to be returning & this is the first time we've made 2 trips to London in one year. I'll be celebrating one of those milestone birthdays & there's no place I would rather celebrate than London. DH said, let's do it so we are.

So, now to my questions. We have a complete set of OS maps we've used on previous trips & they were very helpful for navigating. I would rather not rent a gps; too expensive. I was thinking about downloading the UK maps for our Garmin & bringing our own gps. Has anyone done this? Was it a useful addition to the OS maps? Or, did you get a lot of quirky directions?

Also, am I correct in assuming the 12V power connector should work in our rental car?

Thanks so much for your help & if there is a better place to post this please let me know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

We have a 2008 UK Map on our Garmin Nuvi.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I would recommend updating your maps. Sure, the main road network hasn't changed much, but where it has, it has changed significantly. Also, there are many more speed cameras now in the UK compared with 2008, and the Garmin GPS should warn you, and tell you what the speed limit is in case it is not signposted.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
991 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

@atog254 - There are many YouTube videos of driving in the UK, especially on how to navigate a roundabout. I'd highly recommend that you watch them before driving in the UK.

We used our Garmin, with UK maps, on a recent trip to Scotland. I had already checked the routes on both Google maps and the AA route site in the UK. So we knew basically where we were going (and I printed maps), but having the SatNav made life sooo much easier. Especially in the roundabouts, so we weren't frantically trying to read road signs and figure out which lane we needed to be in.

Our Ford Focus did have SatNav built in, but we didn't try it, since we hadn't actually rented the SatNav and we had our own.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

atog 254 posted his question in July last year so has been and gone.

I wonder how they got on?

Edited: 10 August 2013, 17:22
34. Re: Using our own GPS for UK Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:19