We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

Basingstoke, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

My sister flown out of Heathrow T4 yesterday. She had purchased few jewelleries and wanted to reclaim Vat. The person at Help Desk was so unhelpful and she was abused so badly, she is in distress.

Please help if anyone know where and whom to report for these kind of misbehavior.

Lal

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

Had your sister got the necessary forms filled in correctly? If not then she would not be able to reclaim the VAT.

If you are confident that she went about the process in the correct manner and that the employee who you claim was unhelpful and abusive works for BAA (the airport owners) then you should contact them via this webpage either by leaving feedback or writing to them at the address found towards the bottom of the page - www.heathrowairport.com/help/contact-us

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

Good advice, AdamHornets. It seems strange indeed that the VAT reclaim people are accused of abusing somebody and leaving them in distress as it is their job to process claims and they do understand the fine detail and explain it to the customers. Maybe this lady's receipts were not completely in order and she was distressed at her own failure to have the necessary paperwork.

I have on separate occasions not been able to claim the equivalent tax saving in full when leaving Cape Town and Bangkok because I had not got the correct receipts (one merchant did not show the vat equivalent on the receipt and I did not notice at the time, grrrgh). Staff in each airport polite in explaining situation. It wasn't their fault.

I wonder how the sister got on when she declared the fine jewellery goods at her point of arrival where duty may likely have been payable. In this regard I have always found the staff at Heathrow and Gatwick very helpful and friendly when I queue up to pay the duty on any jewellery I have bought abroad - tip for anyone else bringing things back to the UK, bit off-topic, keep the VAT receipt they give you as it forms part of the purchase price for any future insurance claim!

I shall watch this post to see whether the OP reports backs further with the progress of this matter. If it is as reported, I am sure that BAA will take it very seriously indeed .....

Edited: 16 April 2012, 16:54
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

It's not stated that the lady had filled out any forms. Abuse is completely unacceptable, of course.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

the VAT Refund counters at Heathrow Airport are operated by Travelex.

They don't appear to have a Complaints Procedure but you could e-mail their Customer Services for advice.

travelex.co.uk/uk/personal/vatrefunds.aspx

customerservices@travelex.com

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

At what stage exactly did this issue arise? At the point where your sister was trying to get the document stamped to show that the goods were being exported or at the desk where the refund is actually paid out. The latter is doubtless the refund counter that wirewiper refers to. But before you go there you have to get the document stamped at the Customs desk. Once stamped it serves as evidence that the goods are being exported and you can take it to the refund counter.

Now the Customs desk is no longer the domain of Customs but of UK Border Agency. If your sister couldn't get her form stamped to indicate goods were being exported then it's my guess that UKBA staff might have been involved in which case you could send a message to

UKBAcustomercomplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

> Abuse is completely unacceptable, of course. <

Hmm, one person's abuse is another's pointing out that the lady has gone about things in completely the wrong manner.

I'm not saying that is actually what happened, but there are two sides to every story, and without knowing what was said it's unwise to jump to conclusions.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,233 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

I somehow doubt the OP will be returning here.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

Probably just letting off steam. It's not even his own problem.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

I mainly travel through terminal three, and have no problem claiming VAT refund, just like going to the bank or post office, no hassles!

10. Re: Where to complain for Vat Reclaim Help Desk at Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 June 2012, 20:05