We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on Itinerary

Looking to do the following and wanted to know if it is realistic and cost efficient. Planning on getting the London Pass with Travel card for Wednesday and Thursday. For the other days was going to get a oyster card. Does this work?

Tuesday

National Gallery

Wednesday

Buckingham Palace

Big Ben

Natural History Museum

Victoria and Albert Museum

Thursday

Westminster Abbey

Westminster Cathedral

Royal Botanic Gardens KEW

Friday

Tower of London

St. Paul's Cathedral

Tower Bridge

Hampton Court Palace

Saturday

British Museum

Tate Modern

Edited: 20 April 2012, 05:11
British Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Churchill War Rooms
Historic Sites, History Museums, Military Museums
Natural History Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Imperial War Museum
History Museums, Military Museums, Speciality Museums
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Itinerary

I suspect you mean Thursday & Friday for the London Pass as those days have the covered attractions. But, your itinerary for those days is way too ambitious, especially Friday which is unworkable. The Tower and Hampton Court are half day attractions each, and it will take the best part of an hour and a half to get between them.

I suspect this will mean the LP is not worth it's price, which is not surprising, as ultimately very few get a benefit. And the Travel option is a waste of money as you can use Oyster for those days and pay less.

If there are two or more of you, you should look at the 2 for 1 offers at www.daysoutguide.com . For those, you'll need paper travelcards purchased at a National Rail station ticket office. You'd definitely save money with those. If you're traveling solo, you may get a little benefit from the LP, but you'll have to do some meticulous re-planning of your schedule. From what I can see, and what else you have on your schedule, I think that's very doubtful.

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Edited: 20 April 2012, 05:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Hampton Court as mentioned above is at least a half day or more to see it. It is also on the outskirts of London so you should probably devote a full day to it. Kew is also in the suburbs. In both of these cases, they should be your first destination for the day.

London
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Swap Hampton Court Palace with Tate Modern and it may be feasible. Tate Modern is just across the river from St Pauls and within walking distance of Tower Bridge.

This assumes you have all day Saturday at your disposal.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Itinerary

With the exception of Saturday, your itinerary is not achievable so you will have to do some streamlining. You can do a max of 3 major sites in a day, 2 if you are going to the outskirts for somewhere like Kew, or HCP. So just get Oystercards with PAYG. If it is only you travelling, have a look at smartsave.co.uk for discounts on paying attractions. Museums and galleries (Tate, National Gallery etc) are free anyway. This should cost you way less than the LP with or without travelcard.If there are 2 of you, Consider paper travelcards and the 241 offers:

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,341 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Here's a simple idea - get a big flat map of London and plot where you want to go on it.

Then do the ones that are grouped together on the same day and work out how you can fit the others into it.

As an example on your list you have National Gallery, Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace on three separate days, yet they are all in easy walking distance of each other

You have Tate Modern on one day yet St Pauls on another - but you can walk between the two in around 10 minutes and it's across one of the more interesting bridges in London to boot.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on Itinerary

So I have decided against the LP and Travel card based on the advice. I have updated my iteinary. Let me know if this doable. Thanks

Tuesday

National Gallery

Wednesday

Buckingham Palace

Big Ben

Westminster Abbey

Westminster Cathedral

Thursday

Natural History Museum

Victoria and Albert Museum

British Museum

Friday

Tower of London

St. Paul's Cathedral

Tower Bridge

Tate Modern

Saturday

Hampton Court Palace

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Your Thursday is not achievable at all:

British Museum is far away from Natural History & V and A.

Natural History and V&A are very close together - good grouping there. However note: just the first floor of V&A took us almost 3 HOURS. You could do an entire day in V&A

And British Museum has more than V&A (some say) so definitely can't do all of those in one day.

I would suggest V&A with some Nat. History Museum and then check out a bit of Hyde Park or Kensington Palace - all in same area.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Your Wednesday (revised) does look realistic though - a full day but you can do it. Note: if you're going now Buckingham Palace is closed until mid June.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on Itinerary

Shoot I am only there from June 12-17. Since I can't do the Buckingpalace what if for Wednesday I do the British Musuem after Westiminister Abbey and Cathederal. I know its not close to each other - will have to take the tube but will have time to do all three in one day?

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise on Itinerary

I've just had a look at their website and Buckingham Palace isnt open till June 30th I'm afraid.

Also Tower Bridge is next to the Tower, and Tate Modern is across the Thames from StPauls so you might want to rethink the order in which you have planned for that day. Personally I would only want to have a look at the outside of Tower Bridge&not do the experience.

Btw for my last two trips I bought a london pass and for me it was cheaper,I am a solo traveller though.