We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

I've posted this in the windsor forum as well, but I imagine this is more frequented, and as lots of London tourists head to Windsor for the day it's not unrelated...

I'm looking for somewhere for a nice meal on sunday evening to celebrate a birthday, preferably in Windsor (or somewhere else a short taxi ride from the runnymede hotel where we're staying). Have found already that some places are closed sunday evenings, which seems unusual.

Food types would prefer French, Italian, Meditteranean, Gastro-pub type etc. Although would consider others. Looking for something a little special as it's a birthday but not too expensive (under £20/ main course). Don't want to go to a chain restaurant (zizzi, cafe rouge etc) that are ten-a-penny in London.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Also, any suggestions for a nice wine/ cocktail bar for pre or post dinner drinks?

Many thanks.

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Green Olive, High Street, Windsor, may be of interest, Great for a celebration.

http://www.green-olive.co.uk

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

http://www.gilbeygroup.com/eton/

Gilbeys is very nice and are famous for a reasonably priced wine list . I wouldn't say that being closed on Sunday evening was very unusual, but they seem to be open.

UK
Level Contributor
2,560 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

I quite like dinner at Monkey Island hotel Bray bound to have web site.never dined there sundays tho Bon appetit regmaiche

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Just realised you'll be in Runnymede so make it about 20-25 mins.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 16:24
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

I've eaten at the Blue River Cafe restaurant in Maidenhead. It's a small hotel by the river with a restaurant and bar attached. Go via Bray and it's about a 15 minute drive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Thanks all, will check those out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Blue River Cafe looks nice. Shame I didn't find that a couple of years ago when we had an ovenight stop in Maidenhead, ended up in a disguised branch of Prezzo as it was the only restaurant we could find in town!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,539 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

If you want to stay in that area, another nice place is The Ferry, in Cookham. Lots of outdoor seating right on the water.

http://www.theferry.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

Thanks for the ideas, I took them with me, but after getting soaked walking through windsor great park on sunday afternoon we didn't fancy going out again! Ended up eating at the restaurant in the hotel - the Lock - and had a lovely meal, can recommend it.

10. Re: Dinner in Windsor on Sunday evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:43