We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London trip - my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here -

Sacramento...
8 posts
Save Topic
London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here – Made reservations with a AAA Travel Agent - Arriving at Heathrow on United on Sunday May 6 at 7 am – read here to take the Tube to London - cost 4 pounds – How do I get to my hotel Seraphine Kensington Olympia at 225 Kensington High Street? Read here to walk the first day – I was thinking to also ride one of those hop on and off red buses if I was tired – my hotel check in time is 3 pm - I am traveling light with a brand new High Sierra wheeled-backpack 22x14x9 with a piggy back smaller back pack – traveling lighter than I would normally do in the States – I just turned 81 years old so I have to pace myself – take my meds, eat, take time outs, etc. - my second day Monday I am signed up for an 8-hr London Tour, on 3rd day Tuesday a 12-hr England Tour – I am free on 4th day Wednesday – What to do ? On Thursday I need to go to the town of Diss about a one and a half hour train ride – I saw that a train leaves from Liverpool Station that goes to Diss – If this is the way I get to Diss, then how do I get from my London hotel to Liverpool Station for the ride to Diss? - Once in Diss I am piggy backing with the WW2 - 95 BG Reunion and we are set for a 1940s dance in the Red Feather Club, a trip to the Duxford Museum, and a ride on the river – back to Heathrow on May 16, to leave on May 17th - Thanks for all tips - I am getting too old to make any misteaks - pete

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

We salute you Pete. What kept you and have you been out of the USA before? Is it for family history?

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Pete I am in awe. As for suggestions for things to do: you mentioned WW2, maybe you would enjoy Churchill War Rooms? Westminster Abbey is closeby too.

Btw you mentioned you arrive in Heathrow on may 6, night you be going to the Netherlands for rememberance day on May4th? We always get many WWII veterans here(Groesbeek, Nijmgen), as well as September 17 which is the Market Garden anniversary

Halifax, NS
Level Contributor
3,265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Hi, Pete. I have a couple of comments about your first day. When I was in my 20s, 30s 40s, the advise to walk around on the first day worked fine for me. But it didn't work in my 50s and doesn't in my 60s. When I've tried it, I've fallen asleep over my lunch in a pub and also standing at a bus stop. You might get lucky going directly to your hotel and getting your room right away, so that you can nap for a couple of hours. Or you can do like me, and pay for an extra night in your hotel - the night you'll actually be on the plane. Just let the hotel know that while you're reserving the night of e.g. June 21, you'll only be checking in at 8:30 a.m. June 22. Also, as I age I find that it takes me much longer to get over the jet lag - and I mean days longer. So be prepared to 'drag' a bit for the first couple of days.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Welcome to London Pete, and hope you have a great visit.

Lots of things to cover, so let's start with getting to your hotel, which will take around 40-45 minutes from Heathrow.

The Seraphine is a 4-5 minute walk from High Street Kensington underground (tube) station. If you're able to climb a flight of stairs and walk a couple of hundred yards, then you can take the tube all the way, though it's best done with two changes of train from Heathrow (but very easy changes they are).

Take the Underground’s Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, and across to the other side of the platform, and take a District line train to Earls Court. Get off there, and wait at the same platform for another District line train heading for Edgware Road. One stop later is High Street Ken. There are 31 steps up from the platform with a landing half way up. As you exit the station, turn left, and the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

If you’d prefer to avoid the stairs and the walk, take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, and from the upper bus station, stop F, take the 9, 10 or 27 bus. This will stop at Phillimore Gardens (stop U on the Kensington map) which is directly opposite your hotel.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…hammersmith-2109.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…kensingtonhighstreet-2144.pdf

We can cover the best way to pay for this journey and other transport costs later.

One question. You're heading to Diss (in Norfolk) on Thursday May 10, and returning to Heathrow on May 16 for a flight home on 17th. Are you spending all that time at or around Norfolk, or are you returning to London before 16th?

Edited: 20 April 2012, 23:35
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

I'm guessing OP has been to the UK before but it was probably a long time ago and much more preplanned...

95thbg.org/95th_joomla/index.php…

If I'm right, Pete, thanks for your service.

Edited: 21 April 2012, 00:35
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Pete, do you know what you will be seeing on the 8 hr London tour? It might help us know what to suggest for Day 4.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,942 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Pete, I'm several years your junior.

But I know you will enjoy the town.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Good luck with your trip Pete, fair play to you. Just remember, it's "Liverpool Street" station, not "Liverpool" - you may get some funny looks in London if asking for the latter, as well as the wrong train ticket !

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

Hi - If you want to sit on a crowded tube train or a bus just make people stand up to give you a seat - they always do and gladly, and are just waiting to be asked. Sometimes I ask a senior person and it turns out they don't feel that senior! The seats nearest the door ar labelled as such anyway.

Carry a plastic bottle of water at all times.

If you are rich, use a black cab. There are lots about at the moment. When the yellow light shows, stick out your arm and they see you.

If you want a quiet local day with no tubes or buses, you could have a stroll around Holland Park - just by your Hotel. There is a cricket ground - sorry dont know if anyone plays there, probably on a sunday, I would guess.

There are lots of pubs round the back of your Hotel that might be good to sit and watch sport in. Maybe a local could make a recommendation? Locally there is also Leighton House Museum, which is small and very unusual which you might like.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London trip – my first time - 81 year old male Rookie here –

If you need a quiet time when at the reunion, the parish church will probably have a memorial to the fliers who didn't come back. Ours does - the stars and stripes are next to the RAF flag in the airforce chapel. We remember them.