We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Topic
how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

i am undecided between getting a private tour from gatwick airport, and just commuting to the olympic park.

any suggestions? i would appreciate directions how to take the subway from airport to the stratford area. i am confused.

THANKS

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

Hi, the park itself isn't open to the public as yet, so your best option is a private tour or one by coach, have a look at similar threads for details but there is ViewTube near Bow Church which does have a viewing gallery if it's still open as it was due to close at some point during the Olympics.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

View Tube closes after 17th May, and is due to reopen on 30th September. Closest access is Pudding Mill Station on the Docklands Light Railway.

Apparently it is also possible to view the Olympic Park from the John Lewis department store in the Westfield shopping centre, Stratford.

Las Vegas, Nevada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

thanks, i will be reading your suggestions. i will be in LGW early june, but i am coming from halfway around the world so i am anxious about this. i would not want to miss the opportunity to see the park while my short trip to there.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

There's a viewing gallery within Westfield Stratford. I'm not too sure on its location though.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

I thought it was through John Lewis

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

I don't think it's in a shop, but I've only been there once (well twice, but the second time was just to walk between the two stations).

flickr.com/photos/…

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,905 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

Looks like it is part of JL:

wherecanwego.com/event/…events.aspx

Berrynarbor, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

I was at the viewing area yesterday, it is on the 3rd floor of John Lewis in Westfield Stratford. The view is not that good really, I see more on my journey in the train from Esssex to Liverpool Street. It is also better at the View Tube, but, as previously stated, that will close soon. Personally, I would not make a special journey.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,422 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

I do fear you will be disappointed. If you let us know about your plans (I'm guessing you may have a stopover at Gatwick en route to somewhere else?) and timings then I'm sure we can offer better advice and maybe make some alternative suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to tour olympic park coming from gatwick airport?

Are you planning to stay in London or travel from Gatwick to Stratford, see what's to be seen, then go back to Gatwick for another flight?

You could take a First Capital Connect train to London St Pancras station and then the High Speed train from there to Stratford in six minutes. A slower journey would be FCC train to London Bridge then the Jubilee line from there to Stratford - but you wouldn't see much.

The 339 bus from Mile End (or Shadwell) travels through east London and has some very good views from its windows, as its destination is Westfield Stratford City. It's the slowest option but may be worth it if you will have a few days in London.