We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in London

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
What to do in London

Hi I'm 19 years old and will be in London in late september this year for around 5 nights and am wanting to know fun things to do and see. Also wanting to know about how to see tourist things like the London Eye etc. Any feedback is welcome

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in London

Hi Sally,

You're not really giving the helpful London Forum folk anywhere to start to make suggestions for you. Maybe start with a London guidebook (dead-tree format or virtual, whatever works for you) and do some reading. There are many, many, many things to do in London, but what to do will depend on what interests *you*. What do you like to see and do?

With only 5 nights (Is that 6 days? When do you arrive and leave?) you will not want to spend time doing things that don't interest you, no matter how highly recommended.

Also you can search the London forum using the search bar - it's above where your original question is posted - type in something like "itinerary" and click the magnifying glass. Lots of times people post their planned itineraries for comment, so it might also give you an idea of things to do and how much you could fit into a day.

Newcastle, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in London

Thanks yeh i know i havent been very specific but im not sure what i want to do. i will be there from the 26th sept till like the 1st oct. I love to shop and would like to see some differant and interesting bars, and shops as well as maybe some department store. i also want to see some tourist things, major some of the most popular ones or reccomended ones. i am also very content with just walking around and observing. also would appreciate help on what clothes to pack for this time of year

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in London

Hi Sally,

Here's some websites to start with

http://www.visitlondon.com/attractions/

http://www.timeout.com/london/

http://traveldk.com/london

I usually borrow guide books from the library to start with. The DK eyewitness ones are good, in that they have lots of pictures and break the city into areas. I also think the Rick Steves books are handy with sections such as London at a glance, handy bus routes and sights that open early or close late, websites to check for up to date info etc.

Happy planning.

Jen

Edited: 23 April 2012, 04:16
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in London

Don't know how much of a budget you are on for this trip, but if it is tight, look at the upper right hand of this page under "Top Questions" for the article about "What can I do in London on a budget?"

You might also get quite a bit out of taking a 2 hour guided walk through London with London Walks.

http://www.walks.com/

Perhaps type in "top ten" in the search box at the top of this page to give you some other ideas.

And do get a guidebook--I can recommend the DK Eyewitness Travel London book.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,051 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in London

Will your visit to London be part of a longer stay in the UK or do you plan a tour of a few European cities? Will you travel by air or by rail? If you plan to take Eurostar to or from Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam or a handful of other cities, keep in mind that tickets go on sale 120 days in advance of travel dates; once inexpensive fares are gone they won't be back.

If you like clothes and design you may want to spend a few hours in the V&A museum, with wonderful collections to browse. The Tower of London is a castle, loaded with history and very accessible from all of central London. A half day visit to Windsor may appeal as well; LauraRW can certainly help sort that out.

Will you travel on your own or with a friend? Have you considered a budget for accommodation yet, and if so how much (in £) per night would you like to spend?

The Eyewitness guidebook would be a good place to start, since it's got photographs as well as descriptions.

'... would appreciate help on what clothes to pack for this time of year.' We'll have to let you know later. Much later. About 24h before your arrival in London (and even then the weather will be subject to change).

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in London

Camden market maybe for shopping? I haven't been there yet (want to go with DD and we haven't fit it in yet). Oxford street is more typical dept stores, not that exciting, IMO, but standard shopping. Go on a weekday, weekends are excruciatingly crowded. TBH, we don't do a lot of shopping in London as it's expensive once we figure in the exchange rate. DD likes the used book stores and she got used flute sheet music on our last trip, but that depends on your interests.

Pack layers. I usually wear a short sleeve shirt, possibly with fleece jacket, possibly with long gore tex coat with hood (for wind/rain). Long trousers (preferably ones that dry well, although I do wear jeans a lot). Comfortable shoes for walking. YMMV.

As far as what to see, you really do need a guidebook as mentioned. DK Eyewitness is good for pictures. I've also heard Lonely Planet and Rough Guides for budget travel. Rick Steves is good at simplifying travel, but I think he simplifies it too much sometimes. Once you know what you want to see, group things geographically and then post your possible itinerary here and people can help with logistics. We can't tell you what you want to see though.

7. Re: What to do in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:17