We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

We'll be arriving at Heathrow on May 8th and immediately picking up a rental car and heading to Thames Ditton Rail Station to purchase 4 one-way train tickets to Hampton Court Palace in order to qualify for the 2for1 offer. I understand it's cheaper to buy the train tickets with an Oyster Card and since I'll be using the card to get from Heathrow to London the end of our trip, I'd like to buy the Oyster Cards our first day. Where at Heathrow do I purchase them? I'm assuming it has to be there and not Thames Ditton.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

No, it's not cheaper to buy rail tickets with an Oyster card, so stopping at an Underground station before going to the car hire office may be a bit of a non-starter.

If you plan to use the Oyster cards for travel from central London to Heathrow at the end of your stay you may buy them at any Tube ticket office in the city during your time there.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

deja vu?

Any saving in using an oyster card could be wiped out by the extra petrol costs / time as you drive around Thames Ditton/ Hampton Court.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

Why do you need a rental car? Are you intending to hit London jet-lagged and immediately leap into a car to drive about London?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

I understand it's cheaper to buy the train tickets with an Oyster Card

=====

It isn't, in fact that's a non sequitur since you don't buy train tickets *with* an Oyster card.

You can put some train tickets *on* an Oyster card but that's not relevant to your situation.

Alan, ISTR recall from other posts they are going to HC on their first day and then traveling round the UK, checking the car back in before visiting London at the end of their holiday.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

You can travel from Thames Ditton to Hampton Court using an Oyster card, yes. It will be 50p a head cheaper than paper tickets - if you complete the journey. If you don't you'll get an expensive incomplete journey charge.

But you won't get any tickets - the Oyster IS the ticket and is not valid for 2 for 1

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,467 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

< Alan, ISTR recall from other posts they are going to HC on their first day and then traveling round the UK, checking the car back in before visiting London at the end of their holiday. >

Then for goodness sakes (and the safety of everyone around them) could they- for example - visit Windsor on arrival, pick up a car the next day then when they return to London visit HC.

Personally after a long flight the last thing I want to do is a) drive & b) visit a building.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

You've not been paying attention,chaps. Planning is now in 3rd year.

And there's no intention to get on the train at Thames Ditton - just buy the tickets, then drive to HCP and get the 2-4-1 discounts.

Seems reasonable, if it wasn't for potential traffic congestion and general faffing about after a long flight.

Given that time is so tight on this trip, I would spend as much time as possible at the venue you've come all this way to see, and not at Thames Ditton station, which is....unremarkable.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

dzug1: Thanks for clarifying where the Oyster Card savings I read about came from and that it won't work in our situation.

Our plane arrives at 7:50 am. so hopefully, even with traffic, we'll arrive at HCP not long after its 10 am opening.

Hyderabad, India
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

I have to travel by tube from Heathrow to Greenpark & then to Swiss Cottage.

I am coming with 2 <16 children. Can I buy a 1 day travel card at Heathrow? I read that children travel cards are cheaper than Adult cards. An advantage not available when they are using Oyster card. (time too short for photo Oyster card)

Secondly if travel cards are not available at Heathrow then where can I buy Oystercards?

10. Re: Oyster Card location to purchase at Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:43