We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DVD stores?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
DVD stores?

Sorry to be an old fossil, but are there any good big places left to buy DVD's (and CD's) in central London? There's still an HMV on Oxford Street, yes? Is it of respectable size and selection?

Thanks in advance.

Elaine

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DVD stores?

There are a number of HMV stores on Oxford Street but this is the big one

hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?pPageID=3608#

However Region 2 DVDs won't normally play on Region 1 DVD players - so you'll either have to find a hack for your player or pop down to Walmart and buy their cheapest player. Sometimes they are so cheap that they come ready hacked

Edited: 24 April 2012, 19:41
Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DVD stores?

Or... buy bluray. I order blurays from the UK and they not only work well, but they're also cheaper than our prices. Makes no sense to me, but thanks amazon.co.uk.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DVD stores?

But he doesn't want Blu-rays he wants DVDs

Blu-rays are region coded though, although a lot are region free.

There's only two HMVs in Oxford Street btw.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 19:56
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DVD stores?

I have a region free, thanks. :)

London, England
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DVD stores?

You may get better prices on amazon uk or play.com but I guess you lose out on the pleasures of browsing...

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DVD stores?

There's also still a branch of Fopp in Covent Gdn - 1 Earlham St just off Shaftsbury Ave

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DVD stores?

Yes, I do use amazon.uk, and they kill you on shipping. I am going to enjoy browsing very much! :)

Thanks for the note about Fopp. I was just reading they had a branch in Waterstones Gower Street? That's what the Gower St branch website says, anyway.

Looking to score some lovely books as well! :)

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DVD stores?

For CDs then also try the record stores down Berwick St, just off Oxford St near the big HMV. Sister Ray Records and Reckless Records are very good for a browse especially if you are after slightly less mainstream stuff.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DVD stores?

Thank you!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DVD stores?

Hi, I do also recommend checking out thehut.com who offer cheap or free delievery as well as Zavii who do still exist online but honestly you may be cheaper looking at buying online, a good comparison was one dvd in tesco's selling more in store than their own online store, so I do also recommend if you have a uk mobile with camera, install something like google shooper and see if you can get better prices online before you buy in store.