We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Ascot ... alone??

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Royal Ascot ... alone??

Hi everyone. I had the idea to go to Royal Ascot this June with my brother; however, it turns out he will be unable to attend with me. I would still like to go, but I am wondering if attending alone would be very unusual and not very enjoyable for me. I could get tickets to the Royal Enclosure, as the Canadian embassy provides tickets to its citizens upon request. I only have until the end of April to request tickets.

The whole thing looks like quite an experience, but I just don't want to ruin it for myself by going alone (if that would ruin it). I am female, 30 years old, if that matters.

Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

I can't see why you shouldn't go, you may even meet the Queen - just watch Philip he still has a roving eye.

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

I went for the first time last year last minute with a couple of friends (all girls around 30) - we were in the plebs section (silver ring?) the weather was terrible and everyone was totally hammered! Most were in groups and not from London, but I have to say everyone was very sociable - probably because they were so pissed! There will be a lot of drunk middle aged men very happy to befriend you so if you don't mind that go for it! I found them to be harmless and a good laugh, and I don't tend to chat to strangers!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

If you aren't going to have the chance to be in the Royal Enclosure again then I'd say it's a no-brainer.

So splash out on a suitable frock, climb into the highest strappy heels you can find (even if you can't walk in them), stick a fascinator in your hair and go for it.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

You two are very convincing!! I very much appreciate such quick (and humourous) replies.

I understand this year the new dress code says fascinators are a no-go and full hats are required? We don't get this stuff in Toronto, let me tell you. The only hats we get to wear are knitted toques.. ;)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

You can hire a hat.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

It's a fabulous experience that's well worth doing. I've taken business clients there twice and they loved it. But it does get very busy and people do get very drunk. And the queues for the champagne get very long.

If you can handle the above do it - you'll have a great time. Oh and don't forget to have a flutter on the horses too :p

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,228 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

< Oh and don't forget to have a flutter on the horses too :p >

There's horses????

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,979 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

Lucky you. Get two tickets quick. There are lots of folks on here that would be delighted to accompany you.

5/4 the field.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,273 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

"There's horses????"

Yes but not the equine variety.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Ascot ... alone??

lordkimmage - I'd love to get another ticket and make a friend and go...the problem is that the Canadian embassy requires me to provide them with my passport information and the passport information of anyone "accompanying" me. And those accompanying me must also be Canadian nationals. In fact, even if my spouse was not a Canadian I would not be able to take them with! It's a little crazy, but I suppose they only have a limited number of tickets.

By the way - what does it mean to have "a flutter" on the horses? I should probably learn this lingo before I go!