We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in January

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
London in January

My husband and I will be travelling to London for New Years, arriving 27 Dec and staying for 2 weeks.

Ever since we booked our plane tickets over a month ago, I browse this forum every night and have learned so much!

We have received our New Year's Eve tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys and our membership cards to the British Museum, and we have tickets to Les Miz and Wicked....waiting for WE WILL ROCK YOU to expand their dates.

I'm clear on the Oystercard PAYG, Travelcards and 2 4 1.

As we will be in London for two weeks, we don't feel the pressure of go, go, go....we can take our time and go with the flow while staying in a flat in Victoria Park.

I've gotten so much information on this forum on different walks, markets and things to do on Sundays, but I'm not sure how much of this information....hopefully, all...pertains to a winter trip to London.

I know London is a year round city, but other than the obvious clothing differences.....how might our trip in January differ as opposed to warmer months.

Thank you all for sharing.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London in January

Out there is more residential. All services will be up and running.

If rock you is still running, the tickets will be discounted. Buy on the day.

www.tkts.co.uk

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in January

You'll have shorter days, for one.

The sun will set at 4:02 on January 1, whereas in Detroit it would be after 5.

London at night can be quite pretty, but it is also chilly. Make plans to do indoor things after the sun sets--many museums and galleries are open late. You already have theater tickets, so that's a plus.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London in January

We visited in February and although it was chilly, the weather was much warmer than we would expect at home. In London, cold is freezing temps, not much below freezing. It is unusual for snow to stay on the ground. Tube stations are often heated.

If you want to tour the houses of Parliament, it will have to be on a Saturday, if in session during the week.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in January

CTDesign is right, London will be warmer than Detroit. (although possibly wetter)

hHe tube tends to get very warm, as are some of the venues. Wear layers (and silk long johns) and a raincoat/jacket rather than a heavy wool coat.

Edited: 27 April 2012, 07:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in January

A personal tip from me - not January specific, but as someone who's spent a fair bit of time in the area around Victoria Park, do make sure you check out some of the lovely pubs and restaurants round there. There are some great little places and it's cheaper than always eating out in the West End.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in January

Definitely agree with wearing layers, so you can shed them. We brought heavy coats and wore them only on a few of the coldest days. Our sweaters became the outer layers as daytime lows didn't drop below freezing and highs were therefore several degrees above freezing. My wife's coat had a zip-out lining which was out most of the time.

7. Re: London in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 04:43