We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
107 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Hi,

We're heading to London today and will be staying right near Trafalgar Square. (Less congested locales were overruled by family members.)

Can someone recommend "local" places to eat and decent pubs in the area that won't be crazy expensive and filled only with tourists?

Thanks!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Most restaurants in the area will be full of tourists and 'out of towners'

Look towards Soho (Frith St, Greek St, Wardour St) for independent restaurants.

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Gordon's on villiers street gets office workers as wel as tourists. The rest of villiers st is not so good. Ts full though. The nell gwynne, and pubs and bars on maiden lane are not exclusively tourist. Bertorelis on st martins lane doesn't feel touristy. But you would be better off with more choice as said a bit further north.

London
Level Contributor
872 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

there are a few lovely pubs in that area, particularly around St Martins Lane vicinity, frequented by a mix of tourists and locals/office workers. I second the recommendation for Gordon's Wine Bar, quite some experience! :-)

One of my favourite pubs around there is the Harp http://www.harpcoventgarden.com/ . it does get very busy, being right near the Coliseum (although the nearest entrance is tucked down an alleyway, so not so easy for an unknowing person to just happen upon!) but if you don't mind having to stand for a little while during the peak periods, its well worth a visit. they do also serve food too and apparently pretty good, but I've only been there for drinks.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Your slap bang right in the middle of the busiest part of the busiest tourist city (possibly) in the world....Every establishment will have tourists in it

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,019 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

If you don't mind a short walk (10-15 minutes along The Strand) try the Edgar Wallace in Essex Street (opposite the Royal Courts of Justice), or the Devereux next door. I frequent them both semi-regularly. Both do food all day (the EW stops earlier on a Friday though). You won't find many (if any) tourists in them; but bear in mind they get extremely busy in early evenings with people having a drink after work.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 19:44
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

As MATTHEWVH says you're right in the middle of the tourist area I don't think it is possible to recommend a restaurant in the area where there are no tourists so forget about restaurants with no tourists and get recommendations for good restaurants.

Check out restaurant menus on the toptable website:

www.toptable.co.uk

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

I hope I'm not too late but Ottolenghi's new restaurant "NOPI" is excellent, it's about 10 mins walk from Leicester Square. There won't be a single tourist in there, it's "in the know" locals just now. It's not been around long enough to have made it into guide books. It's fusion sharing plates, like a tapas kind of theme but with more creative cooking and bigger portions.

http://www.nopi-restaurant.com/

Edited: 05 May 2012, 20:19
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

For Breakfast and mid-day, go to the Cafe in the basement of the church on T. Sq (St Martin's). Also the pub The Lord Moon on the Mall (street name).

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

"Also the pub The Lord Moon on the Mall (street name)."

Which of course is on Whitehall and not The Mall at all, probably London's most misleading pub name.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Non-touristy eats near Trafalgar

Stockpot or the West End Kitchen on Panton St (just a couple if mins from Trafalgar Square)