We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Hi,

I would certainly appreciate guidance regarding our day in London. We arrive from Paris at 10:23am on a Wednesday in June at the St. Pancras station. We have e-tickets for the original hoho bus. We need to catch the return train at 7pm.

We want to eat at Rock and Sole Plaice at 47 Endell St. Then enjoy a "pub crawl" by drinking a pint at the Cheshire Cheese, the Crown and Sugar Loaf, and the Black Friar. Lastly, we'd like to enjoy the hoho boat ride offered before making our way back to St. Pancras.

I am having the hardest time seeing original's route map and could really use some help regarding starting point and color of line to take for our plans. Also, does it seem feasible time-wise? Any advice is most welcomed and appreciated.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 05:33
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Bumping up to the top.

Kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Thanks for the bump.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Another bump.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,690 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Yup, it's doable. Stay on the bus for the full tour. Eat your fish and chips. Have a pint.

Forget the boat ride.

www.theoriginaltour.com

Kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

I appreciate the bumps and lordkimmage's feedback. May I ask you, kind sir, why we should forget the boat ride?

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,690 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Tempus fugit.

Kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Especially on vacation ;-)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

Since you will need to be at St Pancras no later than 45 minutes before Eurostar departure time I too think you'll be hard pressed to take the river cruise.

You will need one day Travelcards for zones 1 and 2 at £7 each, as the hop on hop off buses shouldn't be used for transport purposes: they aren't as frequent as London's red buses (or the Underground) and you will need to make your way from St Pancras to the tour start point (Piccadilly line from King's Cross to Piccadilly Circus then a walk down the Haymarket to Cockspur Street), to Endell Street and along Fleet Street then to St Pancras.

It will take about half an hour to make your way from Eurostar arrivals to the Piccadilly line ticket hall, train journey and to the Original Tour's office. Let's say two and a half hours for the tour, an hour for lunch, at least an hour along Fleet Street from pub to pub. Add in travel time and the potential desire to alight from the tour bus along the route and the tempus will indeed fugit.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,200 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

I'm not quite sure how you envisage the day to work out, and which of the routes do you plan to take? The HOHO route(s) take around 2.5 hours and that's without hopping off at all.

The outlier (distance wise) as I see it is Rock & Sole, as it's not on either the red or yellow routes, which cover the historic sites.

I agree with Lord K and TP; something will have to give. And personally I'd drop the HOHO bus bit.

As you'll need one day travelcards anyway, you could ditch the HOHO, use regular buses (which are more frequent) to see the sites you really want to see, and just use your HOHO ticket for the river cruise.

Then you could factor R&S for lunch, do a cruise from Tower Pier to Westminster, head back to the pubs, and from either Blackfriars or City Thameslink stations take a train back to St. Pancras.

Kansas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Time frame for hoho, boat ride and pub crawl

I so appreciate the input. We wanted a laid back day in London, which is why we bought the hoho tickets. We normally navigate and the idea of sitting on a bus taking in the sights, hopping off for fish, chips, and pints really appealed to us. The boat ride would be a bonus, if we had time.

As for our envisioned route, I thought that we could walk from St. Pancras to the Russell Square & Woburn Place to catch the blue line. At the Ritz Hotel, change to the yellow line. Ride the yellow to Aldwych and begin our walk to Rock & Sole and our "crawl" to the pubs.

After hooking back up with the hoho at the (whichever is closest~ Aldwych or

Ludgate Hill or Blackfriars Bridge) stop, we could take the red line to Great Portland Street stop and walk to St Pancras station.

So, if there are problems with this plan, I would love to know before we go.

Edited: 13 May 2012, 06:01