We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

lincs
Level Contributor
756 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Hi, we are bringing my daughter to see Thriller Live for her 16th birthday. We have booked the Premier Inn at Beckton to stay after the show. We plan to set off (from Lincolnshire) early in the morning, leave the car at the Premier Inn and travel into central London by public transport.

I have only been to London on a few coach trips and my daughter has never been before. I would really appreciate advice on what are the best sights to see in a limited amount of time. I have no idea how close anything is to the theatre so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, any tips on somewhere nice but not too expensive to go to for a meal? My daughter has said in the past that she would like to go to the Hard Rock Cafe, Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe - are any of these in this sort of area?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lincolnshire
Lincolnshire
England, UK
Hard Rock Cafe London
Hard Rock Cafe London
6,436 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

I would suggest you go for the "iconic" sights like Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar Square etc just buy a travel card and wander round via tube or bus to your hearts content

www.visitlondon.com/attractions/culture/.

Or get the book Top Ten London by Eyewitness it will have a ton of suggestions for one day trips, top ten in many categories . amazon.co.uk/DK-Eyewitness-Top-Travel-Guide/… it will coem in useful on later occasions I'm sure.

Its easy enough to look up those cafes on their websites and see if they are in the area where the theatre is

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Agree about just having a wander around. Get the tube to somewhere like Picadilly Circus and use a small map of central London.

Wouldn't bother with Hard Rock Cafe - full of tourists and over priced food - but there are plenty of eating places everywhere. She might like Covent Garden - although maybe also not the best place to try to eat.

How about going on the London Eye? Look up and you will see it!

Mentioned in this post
Hard Rock Cafe London
Hard Rock Cafe London
6,436 Reviews
London, UK
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Since you are staying in Beckton (my neck of the woods when i'm in London), when you take the DLR into London, make sure you get off at Canning Town, and go down the escalater to the Picadilly Line into central London, if you want to get there quick. Get a one day travel card as it's good on DLR, the underground and the buses. You can get them at the DLR staion (DLR=Docklands Light Railway). Not a lot happens in Beckton by the way, it's not exactly the cultural hub of London, but the food at the hotels is quite reasonable. It'll take about an hour to get into central London from Beckton.

Have you got your tickets yet, if not you can usually buy tickets and a meal together from Lastminute.com. Just now they have tickets for Thriller and Planet Hollywood at lastminute.com/lmn/pso/catalog/Product.jhtml… Just a thought, but it's usually a limited menu.

Have fun.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

The only one of those restaurants I've been to in London is the Rainforest Cafe (in 2009 or so, so it may have changed) and I was underwhelmed. The food wasn't good and the special effects weren't as good as at the one in Chicago. My daughter was 10 or so when I took her, and she said it was just ok, so I think it would be a waste for a 16 y/o.

lincs
Level Contributor
756 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Will definately take your advice and buy a travel card for the day. I presume you can buy them at the station in Beckton? Is it cheaper to buy them in advance?

Will forget Hard Rock etc and will just find somewhere while on our adventures :-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Will definately take your advice and buy a travel card for the day. I presume you can buy them at the station in Beckton? Is it cheaper to buy them in advance?

-------

Yes and no in that order.

Westside
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

I have taken my daughters into London whilst they were teenagers. They have also been to the Hard Rock Cafe and loved it. Thus if you can fit it in, I would suspect it might go down well. Teenagers don't tend to want to spend too long in museums etc although on a longer trip than a theatre trip we got to the V and A and we all enjoyed looking at the costumes through the ages. 'mum look, your wardrobe' haha.

I think your choice has to be a walking tour of some of the 'big name' sites - Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament, or a visit to one place and do it well.

Mine went to the London Eye when they were about 12 and 14 and although I loved the experience but they were underwhelmed. The problem for them was that they did not really know enough of the monuments to say 'oh look there is .....' The flights move slowly and so you hardly feel you are moving.

What they do love (and still do) is Top Shop on Oxford Street. Teenage paradise, especially if you are going to pay for a couple of items. They may have a Top Shop in their own neck of the woods, we have several but it is not the same as Oxford Street.

What about getting on one of those tourist HOHO buses and doing the whole thing sitting down? (It does mean that costs are mounting)

If I were planning it, I would put down 2 or 3 options for the morning, 2 options for lunch and 2 for the afternoon and then asking her what she wants. It is her day after all.

Mentioned in this post
Hard Rock Cafe London
Hard Rock Cafe London
6,436 Reviews
London, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

A correction to post 3. You change from DLR to Jubilee not Picadilly line at Canning Town. Allow about 35-40 minutes in total from Beckton to Waterloo or Westminster.

I'd also like someone to confirm if the ticket machines at Beckton sell one day travelcards. There is certainly no ticket office there.

Mentioned in this post
Waterloo
Waterloo
Merseyside, UK
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

I was going to say that the Hard Rock might be good, although I've never been to the one in London. I think it's designed for an older crowd than Rainforest Cafe (which usually has a bunch of little kids in it here), more like your daughter's age.

I'm not overly fond of the ones here because they are so loud, but then I'm not 16 anymore either.

lincs
Level Contributor
756 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice wanted please for day in London before Theatre trip.

Hi, thanks everyone for all the great advice. I think we will set off as early as possible to make the most of the day and will get a map of central london and will try and walk round most of the major sites. My daughter hasn't mentioned Topshop but is desperate to go to the new Hollister shop on Regent Street, from looking at the map this doesn't look far from the theatre district.

Just one more question, do the trains/tubes run late into the evening? I imagine in London they do but living out in the shire all our public transport seems to have stopped by 8pm!

Having looked at the website the Rainforest Cafe looks far too babyish, we might do the Hard Rock Cafe if we can find it easily or will just look for somewhere that catches our eye.

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Hard Rock Cafe London
Hard Rock Cafe London
6,436 Reviews
London, UK