We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

19 Princelet Street

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
151 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
19 Princelet Street

I am headed to London in September and would love to visit this historical site: http://www.19princeletstreet.org.uk/

I've been checking the website often but it seems to be out of date with only 2011 opening dates listed. I've emailed a couple of times with no response. I would appreciate anyone's advice as far as possible times of year the public might be allowed to enter in 2012 (itinerary planning!).

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 19 Princelet Street

In the past, the building has been open during Refugee Week, which this year is from 18 - 24 June. There's no indication on the calendar of events for next month that 19 Princelet Street will be open for visitors, but keep an eye out at www.refugeeweek.org.uk

I took a tour of the building a few years ago, and although it was interesting I found the experience less than fulfilling. Single visitors (not part of a group) were instructed to view the rooms in a specific order, and backtracking was frowned upon although staff were on hand in all parts of the house.

If 19 Princelet Street is not open during your stay, perhaps a visit to Dennis Severs's House would be of interest.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 19 Princelet Street

I've also been curious about this place and emailed them a couple of weeks ago asking for info on 2012 opening times. Your post reminds me that I have not yet received a response either.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 19 Princelet Street

Its the same with me, I just don't understand their reluctance. If the intention is to restore the building or pro tem make it safer, then they need to co-operate with potential visitors who probably would contribute to the fund.

london
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 19 Princelet Street

when I visited a few years ago they were having problems with funding ... they needed large amounts of money to make the building safe etc ... although they might need visitors, the amount of revenue I think would be peanuts compared to the amounts they needed

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 19 Princelet Street

I visited 19 Princelet Street possibly seven years or more ago. I think it was open on certain days and we were allowed in five at a time. It was understandable from the safety point of view as it was being held up with heavy metal scaffolding. At that time they were accepting donations in order to refurbish the building and I presumed that some day soon it would be open to the public. I believe they receive various visiting groups but that is all. I remember seeing the upstairs which was in a terrible condition but listed many names on wall plaques from when it was used as a synagogue so it is of great historical significance, particularly to the east end jewish community. I would love to visit there again but have never seen a time when it was open to the public.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
151 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 19 Princelet Street

Hello Everyone!

I just received this email in response to my inquiry about 19 Princelet Street. I thought others might be interested in the update:

You wrote to ask about visiting 19 Princelet Street, the museum of immigration and diversity. We are still finalising dates for spring; however, I am delighted to tell you that we have just announced two special pop-up openings, to celebrate Benjamin Zephaniah as guest editor of the Today programme on BBC Radio4, to be broadcast on New Year’s Eve.

New Year’s Day, Tuesday 1 January, 2pm to 4pm

and

Saturday 5 January, 2pm to 4pm

These openings are FREE and we hope you will make a donation.

There is no booking and we hope any queues will be short.

Please dress warmly, especially warm footwear, as this beautiful building is freezing cold.

We look forward to seeing you, and will write to you again with news of openings later in the year. www.19princeletstreet.org.uk/openings.html

An Australian visitor leaving after a group visit today said: ‘Unlike anything I have ever experienced… wonderful.’ We hope you will agree, and that a visit will be a wonderful start to the new year.

We wish you a very happy 2013.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 19 Princelet Street

Since it's in the area, I'd also strongly recommend Denis Severs' house as well - fantastic experience.

http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/

8. Re: 19 Princelet Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 08:16