We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theatre special offers

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Topic
Theatre special offers

I'm looking for tickets for one of Warhorse, Top Hat, Singin in the Rain, or Wicked, for the extended bank holiday weekend (1-5 June). I wondered if anyone knows of any special offers going?

I've already checked theatremonkey, and thebigticketdeal.com, and not come up with anything, and get into london theatre doesn't start till later in June. I'd rather not use last minute, as you don't get allocated seats.

I know this is probably a long shot with it being bank holiday/ jubilee weekend etc. but thought it was worth an ask in here as I know some people really have their finger on the pulse when it comes to this stuff, and might know of other places to look.

If no offers, seat recommendations for these shows would be welcome. I don't really want to pay £60ish, thinking more £40, but would still like a good view, and without too much stair climbing as I'm taking my parents.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Theatre special offers

You can try http://www.lastminute.com. That's where I usually get tickets to shows.

Very good chance though that the theatres will be dark on the Bank Holiday Monday.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Theatre special offers

>> If no offers, seat recommendations for these shows would be welcome <<

You can get this info from theatremonkey.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Theatre special offers

Don't know of any special offers but you might want to try the usual suspects - seetickets, ticketmaster, broadway box. Ticketmaster is the only one I know of which allows you to select tickets. As your picks are very popular shows I'd be surprised if there were huge deals but you could look and see if any of them are on the 241's* or sites like the Guardian/Telegraph which sometimes do promotional offers.

I can't see why theatres will be 'dark' on the the bank holiday - it must be a goldmine for them.

*daysoutguide.co.uk

Edited: 10 May 2012, 14:00
London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Theatre special offers

Thanks for suggestions. I didn't know broadway box did London offers, and hadn't thought of the 241 days or newspapers sites etc.

Quick look suggests, as expected, that there aren't big deals to be had, but I'll bear them in mind for future reference.

As I said, lastminute.com I'd prefer not to use as you don't get allocated seats until you collect your tickets. I'd rather know what seats I'm being offered and then I can decide if they're worth it or not!

I always knew I was asking a lot for special offers for these shows for bank holiday! I normally avoid peak times and manage to get discounts for the big shows, but might have to bite the bullet this time!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Theatre special offers

You wont get a "deal" for War Horse, I'm afraid, at any time. The ticket agents for that show are: Seetickets.com or through www.nationaltheatre.org.uk

Wicked's agency is Ticketmaster where you can select your seat but the only discounts I have seen recently are with lastminute.com, which you don't like. You can get meal and show discounts that work out as a good deal though, See theatremonkey for these. Or go for the side stalls seats just off the centre aisle that are a good 25% cheaper than stall prices (eg right now June 2nd matinee you can get Row J39/40 at 45.25GBP each whereas seats right next door are priced at 65!. You don't miss much of the view, and there's your savings.

Singin' in The Rain is also a hot ticket so discounts are almost non-existent.

Top Hat has only just opened so you might be able to get tickets online more easily for this one.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Theatre special offers

I'm told that some people manage to get themselves on mailing lists that offer tickets for as little as £2-£3. My mother has a friend who is on one such mailing list, but when she pressed for details about how one could sign up she just went silent and made it clear that she was unable, or unwilling, to assist anybody else in getting onto any such list. It sounds like it's almost a kind of secret club, something you have to be invited into, a world of winks and nudges. Is this really the case? Does anybody know about these very cheap tickets? I am puzzled that my mother's friend absolutely refuses to divulge the exact source of her cheap tickets, and does not want to help anybody else to get them. Does anyone know what's going on?

Edited: 11 May 2012, 14:03
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Theatre special offers

Jonathan, those are the clubs that are offered cheap or free tickets by theatres having difficulties selling seats to fill theatres. It's a practice called papering. It may be used by West End theatres or the fringe. They tell the club members not to tell people what they have been offered. The members usually don't get a choice in the shows on offer. The Audience Club is one I have heard of.

Many don't usually shout out about their existence, for obvious reasons!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Theatre special offers

Ruby - thanks for the advice. Parents have now decided they'd like to see Jersey Boys, and have found a reasonable offer for that.

The seating tips for Wicked are helpful though, will bear in mind if we go and see again.

Jonathan, as Ruby said there are various clubs that offer seat-filling services - you generally pay an annual membership fee, and then can buy tickets for £1-£3 a time, but on the condition that you don't reveal what shows are on offer, and so you can't see what shows they have until you're joined up.

I'm a member of the Audience Club, but think they are closed to new members at the moment. Others I've heard of are Play by Play (which is quite expensive to join), and I believe the What's On Stage Club also has a seat filling service. There may well be others that are even more secretive, and perhaps members are not even permitted to mention their existence! (I did a thorough search of the WOS discussion boards when deciding which to join, and these were the only ones that I could come up with.)

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Theatre special offers

Wow, that sounds intriguing... I had no idea these kind of clubs existed, but as a big theatre fan, I am quite attracted to explore further! I just googled the names you mentioned and indeed, the Audience club is currently not accepting new members, whereas the other 2 have an annual membership fee of 99£ and 75£. Still, that sounds reasonable enough, if you can actually get seats for under 3£!

What I was wondering (of course I'll understand if you're not keen or allowed to answer...)

1) would you personally say your membership has proven worth it?

2) Is is sometimes possible to buy tickets well ahead of the performance date or is booking only on short notice?

3) I can see and understand how most tickets offered come from fringe productions or previews, but are there sometimes "really amazing" offers for larger venues as well?

Thank you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Theatre special offers

Think the clubs are kept fairly quiet, I had been living in London and a fairly regular theatre goer for about 6 years before I heard of it!

I don't think I'll get in trouble for answering your questions, as most of this info is out there on the internet anyway. There's a more in-depth discussion on the WOS forum here:

www.whatsonstage.com/board/index.php…

1) I definitely think it's been worth joining, at £25 for membership. I've actually only been to one thing so far, since joining about 3 months ago, but view that as making my money back, and I'm sure I will see others which will be where the value kicks in. There's been plenty of stuff which looks interesting, but my problem has been time, I've just been too busy recently to go to the theatre that often. If I had the time I could have easily been to see something every week.

2) It's mostly short notice, a few days in advance. Sometimes things come up for the same day. The furthest in advance I've seen things are about 3 weeks, and that's quite rare.

3) Not sure how much I can say about this. There is a huge range of stuff on there, and I think the benefit is in going to see things I wouldn't necessarily usually try (when I eventually have time!) But yes, occasional great deals for bigger venues. Don't expect long running west end shows though. Although I think the whole thing is an amazing deal anyway!

From the WOS discussion linked above, people who were members of various clubs seemed to suggest Play by Play had more 'big shows' (but less choice overall), although obviously difficult to tell what that means. They have a higher membership fee, and although I'm sure you could make this back, it's a bit steep for me at the moment. I may consider joining in future.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 16:47