We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damp Squib

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Damp Squib

Arrived Heathrow today on time at 12:20 pm. Expecting a long wait at immigration because of the Border Force strike. NO lines, took less than a minute to clear immigration.

Damn, now I have to wait an hour for Exclusive Airports to pick us up (when I booked, I told them to meet us 1 hour after our plane touched down). Rang them up on my mobile and they had a driver in the terminal in less than 10 minutes.

My wife and I are giddy over our good luck. Arrive at the flat and it hasn't been cleaned since the previous renter left this morning. On the mobile again and the cleaning ladies arrive in an hour. Off now for a pint.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,336 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Damp Squib

I just hate it when a plan comes together

london
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damp Squib

isn't it annoying when you've got nothing to moan about

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Damp Squib

There were no delays the last time the border people went on strike either. There only seem to be delays when they're working.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damp Squib

What it means is that any criminal knows that they can virtually walk through UK borders as there are no checks being done. It's just a passport-stamping exercise.

Anyone who would normally be taken aside to be questioned in more depth is waved through as there aren't the staff to spare to do these interviews.

But, as long as no-one's inconvenienced, that's the main thing :-)

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Damp Squib

Good to see you back in town TS.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Damp Squib

Managed a mini pub crawl on arrival night. Not a bad pub in the group, each a bit different. I'll put together a detailed pub review at the end of the trip.

Here are the three:

www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,014 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Damp Squib

Well that's three pubs to put on my to do list.

Some friends arrived at T5 mid morning and said that the line was long but moved at a decent pace so they didn't feel delayed.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Damp Squib

That looks like 3 good pubs - and glad your trip so far has been either 'hassle free' or 'problem solved!! Hope the rest of it goes like that

Regards, EW

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,154 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Damp Squib

I'm with adam on this one, some of those may make good TALF pub meet venues in the future.

10. Re: Damp Squib

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:16