We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

AlbertoVo5 and Ecofriend posted on the March Afternoon Tea thread that they would like a TALF tea in early July.

The one date that they and I could do was the 4th July 2012.

I said I would start a thread in May so that we can get a fix on the numbers to make a reservation soon. July is a busy month for visitors.

I have consulted Parkandwalk who has agreed that the Capital Hotel remains the best balance of tradition, cost and formality/informality.

They are also used to us and, despite that, still permit us to book.

I adore Claridges, but it is much more expensive and, IMO, requires more formal dress, so, unless there is a vote for Claridges on this thread, I propose that we have a TALF Afternoon Tea to start at 3.30 pm at the Capital Hotel, on Basil Street close to the Harrods exit of the Knightsbridge tube station. The set tea costs £25 (£37.50 for adding champagne) per person. The hotel serves tea in a small quiet room that is comfortable for the many conversations that come with any TALF meeting.

Afternoon tea tends to be good value as it is a generous meal and can serve as lunch and/or dinner.

Dress is usually “smart casual”; meaning clean dark jeans and a neat shirt or jumper (sweater) is ok, although others may enjoy dressing up a bit

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

So far, I believe we have AlbertoVo5 +2 (?) and Ecofriend (+1?), Parkandwalk and me.

There is a limit to the numbers that can be accommodated, but we have had 10 before.

If anyone else would be interested in attending, please post as soon as possible

Frequent posters, infrequent posters, lurkers, visitors, locals, DEs, first timers, male or female: all are welcome.

Edited: 12 May 2012, 07:53
Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

I'd like to come. I have evening tickets for Comedy of Errors at the Roundhouse, but that's all I've got on for that day.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

Well, if I get short-listed, I could come for a recce that day..... but there are a Lot of ifs and buts in that, so don't let me take up someone else's place if the numbers get tight!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

Firm yes from me - thanks for arranging, Leagle.

Florida
Level Contributor
228 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

I am afraid the answer is likely to be negative but thought I'd still ask - if there is any way at all to move the event to July 2? The three of us would love to join, but that's the last day we could make it... Thanks!

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,070 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

Really, Leagle? Just before I get there! (I know you're gone when I'm there, so that would be unrealistic expectations, but still...) ;-)

Maybe I'll try to arrange one for later in July if anyone's around. Can I set it up by email? I hate paying for overseas calls.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

JumpinBug,

You would be most welcome. Are you solo or more than one? I need to keep track of numbers.

Ailidh,

I usually book one or two extra places, then give a final figure to the hotel a few days before. I really hope you can join us.

Parkandwalk,

Thank you for confirming.

Patricia13,

Normally at this stage we would be very flexible, but AlbertoVO5, who made the original request for a July date is only arriving on the 3rd July. I have sent her a pm. If she still wants to attend it wouldn't be right to move the date to one she can't make. But watch this space just in case her plans have changed.

btgm,

Parkandwalk offered in an earlier thread to set up an afternoon tea after I leave London on the 6th. I don't believe that she is leaving until much later in July, so you could ask her how she would feel about coming to two teas in a month.

In any event, the hotel takes reservations by email.

I have also just re-read the March thread and have realised that Ecofriend is in London in June, not July, so there should be places available for those who respond reasonably promptly. (Apologies to Ecofriend for my carelessness) I will try to ring the hotel before the beginning of June.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
625 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

I confirm I will be there with 2 friends. Thank you very much Leagle for starting the thread. :-)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,441 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

Mrs Hornets has requested the day off and it would not be impossible for me to attend although that would be a fairly last minute decision depending on work so it's two possibles at the moment.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

AlbertoVO5,

You are very welcome. Thank you for responding so quickly.

The more the merrier and the greater variety of attendees, the more interesting the conversations.

Patricia13,

Try sending AdamHornets who usually organises the pubmeets, a private message with your dates for June/July and ask him to start a July thread, or make the request by a question on the forum.

I would be sorry for you and your friends/family to miss all TALF hospitality.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed Afternoon Tea on 4th July 2012

Adam and AlbertoVO5,

This is getting spooky. I am not used to people being on line when I name them.