We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

we are staying at the park plaza westminster bridge hotel:

200 Westminster Bridge Road, City of London SE1 7UT, United Kingdom

what is the best way to get there from gatwick airport? i know gatwick express and southern go to victoria--is that victoria station? if so, is that where you would get off?

thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

There is no "best way" it depends how much money you want spend, how many people, how much luggage, what trade off you make between cost and convenience.

Two sort of "obvious" ways are to take the train to Victoria (yes London Victoria train station) and then take either take the tube with little luggage, or taxi with a lot of luggage, but then again if there are 4 of you, 4 tube fares wont be that different to one taxi fare.

Or from Victoria you could probably get a bus to save a couple of pounds or with little luggage walk it in 30 minutes and save the bus fare (I'm sure some posters here would)

The main thing is not to waste money on the Gatwick Express train which shamefully charges double for ordinary trains and is all of 5 minutes faster than Southern.

There are often 4 for 2 "groupsave" deals on the train.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

yeah, we have 3 kids in tow--not that much luggage--but we wouldn't want to walk anywhere too far. i'd rather pay for the convenience so it sounds like taxi from victoria is the way to go.

thanks for the tip on the southern vs the gatwick. do you know if it is necessary to buy train tix from gatwick in advance or can we just buy once there?

thx!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

There are sometimes savings to be made by buying in advance but these commit you to a certain service so if your flight is delayed you would have to buy new tickets. Better to buy tickets from the station which is attached to the south terminal. If you are flying to the North terminal then you have to take a monorail type light rail service that connects the two terminals. This runs every few minutes and only take a couple of minutes.

You can avoid the taxi by taking the Southern train as far as Clapham Junction and changing to any train heading to Waterloo from where your hotel is an easy 7 or 8 minute walk.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

No need to book in advance, buy on the day. With five travelling the GroupSave fare may be the business; depending on the age of your youngest, s/he might travel for £1.

One thing to keep in mind: if your flight arrives early in the morning on a weekday, consider staying at the airport until 1000 and travelling to London thereafter. The commuter rail trains will be chockablock full, not ideal for travellers plus luggage.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

On which day/date and time does your flight land?

The easiest way would be to take the First Capital Connect train from Gatwick to London Bridge (trains every 15 mins and journey time 29 mins), and then change to a train heading to Charing Cross, and get off at Waterloo East (journey time 5 mins). Waterloo East is connected to the main Waterloo station, from where it's a 5 minute walk to the Park Plaza.

You can buy the FCC tickets on arrival at Gatwick. And, if you are traveling off peak (after 9.30am on weekday and all day weekends and holidays) you can get a combination FCC rail ticket/travelcard for £12.50, which will cover all the transport in London for that day, and is cheaper than just the standard rail ticket to Victoria.

If you're making this journey at any time after next weekend, all FCC services will use the through platform 6 at London Bridge. All you would need to do would be get off the train and wait at the same platform for a Charing Cross train.

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/…

Edited: 12 May 2012, 22:34
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

The easiest way would be to take the First Capital Connect train from Gatwick to London Bridge, and then change to a train heading to Charing Cross, and get off at Waterloo East Waterloo East is connected to the main Waterloo station, from where it's a 5 minute walk to the Park Plaza.

=====

Easiest? That doesn't seem easier to me than than "a train to Victoria, and a cab to the hotel" :-)

I also think the kids would also enjoy the black cab as an intro to London. Mine used to love the fold down seats :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

Seeing as the question was mostly based on which railway line to take, and which station to get off, then the FCC takes you closer to the hotel, in less time, and for less money than the trains to Victoria. If the kids would like a ride in a taxi, then you can do that from either London Bridge or Waterloo East.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
195 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

my flight actually gets in to gatwick at 10 am so perfect to miss the AM rush. you guys are all awesome. thank you all so much once again.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

Seeing as the question was mostly based on which railway line to take, and which station to get off, then the FCC takes you closer to the hotel, in less time, and for less money than the trains to Victoria.

---

Fair enough so FCC to LB and a taxi would be easiest then ? :-)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to get to hotel from gatwick?

Yup Joe that works. :)

I just didn't want everyone to think Victoria. The OP can decide on whether a taxi is necessary for that journey. I'd do the train all the way, but that's me, and there's always the chance of another taxi ride during their stay.

wskungfuclub, from what you've said it looks like you're arriving on a weekday, in which case you're all set. If it happens to be a weekend, let us know the date, as there are weekend engineering works over the next couple of weeks (which affect the Gatwick to London Bridge route).

Edited: 13 May 2012, 08:04