We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

atlanta
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

I'm coming to London the last week in May. Am I better off with a rain jacket, an umbrella, or both? Also, should I bring a lightweight fleece or will a cotton sweater be OK?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
455 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

We went on 2 big trips in 2006. Paris in late May/early June. Jamaica mid-August. The hurricane was in Paris. All the descriptions of sideways, upwards, and diagonal rain applied. Our umbrellas blew inside-out. Don't even ask about our August 2010 trip to Copenhagen.

Looking forward to London late June this year. I wouldn't follow our itinerary if our luck continues to prevail.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

I will confidently predict that by the beginning of June we will be able to tell you what you should have brought.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

If I know I'm going to be in crowded places, then I bring a lightweight hooded jacket: I'm only 5'2", so me and an umbrella and a crowd is just a recipe for disaster.

London, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

Get yourself a gamp. It gets sweaty in the rain.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

I've found I prefer a hooded rain jacket (and it's best if the hood has a drawstring to keep it from blowing off). A windbreaker type is fine. If it has a zipout linner, even better. I wouldn't fool with the fleece. And probably won't need the sweater either. A T-shirt with a long sleeve (or 3/4 sleeve) button up over it will probably be plenty. The windbreaker jacket will help with wind and rain and adds a bit of warmth if needed. An umbrella is good IF you have pouring rain with little wind- we've only had that twice in the UK in 40+ trips. Buy one if it is needed.

16. Re: rain jacket or umbrella or both in may

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:16