We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

Hello,

We purchased advance fares on the 8:58 from Alnmouth to KGX on 8 June. Now it looks like we will stay in Newcastle the night before rather than up the coast. Can we just get on the same train when it calls at Newcastle at 9:27 on 8 June?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

It is not terrible advice, I do it all the time. Im certainly not going to travel many miles in the wrong direction to get on the identical train. If it wasnt for the barrier I wouldnt bother even buying the inexspensive ticket.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

I think some clarification is needed. I'm assuming that the OP has to change trains in Newcastle, from the local train from Alnmouth to Newcastle to the intercity from Newcastle to London. If that is the case then buying a cheap ticket to get through the barriers at Newcastle is a work-around. That gets them onto the platform to make the connection with the London train that the local train from Alnmouth would connect with in their original plans.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,368 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

There is no change of train required it is direct from Alnwick to London, calling at Newcastle.

If the OP is concerned then they should make the one hour roundtrip to end up on the identical train. Personally I would never bother with this. Even if I purchased the Newcastle to Alnwick ticket I wouldnt dream of making the journey.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

It is terrible advice because it could result in the OP getting into trouble. They will be treated as not having a valid ticket at all, which at the very least will result in them having to pay the full single fare from Newcastle to London.

And then you compound it by telling the OP to purchase a ticket just to get through the barrier at Newcastle, which could result in a charge of fare evasion, for which a criminal conviction could follow.

All for the sale of £9 and an extra 26 minute rail journey.......

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
566 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

This has got to be one of the more ludicrous rules relating to train tickets. In effect, you are giving up a portion of the journey you've paid for, whether by boarding further along the line or getting off early at the other end, and then being massively penalised for it.

I've unwittingly done this a couple of times and fortunately never been challenged; however, I'll now be sure to read the small print on the small leaflet that (sometimes, not always) you get given along with your tickets. Advance purchase tickets are otherwise such a bargain that I suppose I should have guessed there might be something in the regulations like this.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

Wow, this has generated an interesting discussion! (This is the OP again.)

There is no train change involved at Newcastle. It is the same train to London that we would board at Alnmouth.

Interesting thought that we could purchase the 9GBP 7:41 train NCL to ALM to get through the ticket barrier at NCL. Then wait around and hop on the 8:58 ALM to KGX train when it stops at NCL at 9:27. But if we were to do that, we might as well ride the 7:41 up to ALM and use our original tickets ALM to KGX as planned.

I did look up the T&Cs on East Coast's website last night, and it is quite clear that you cannot begin, interrupt, or end your journey in a way that is not specified on the itinerary you purchased when you buy these advance fares.

I am not surprised. That is how advance air fares work in the US. It is one of the trade-offs we make when we buy the hugely discounted tickets. This is why I have in the past spent the money for a BritRail pass when visiting the UK. They cost more, but they are completely flexible.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

I'm curious, as I've usually travelled with a railpass--do the conductors clip your ticket when they check it, and so if you got on in Newcastle with a "from Alnmouth" ticket they'd know?

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

I may be mixing up my countries, but I think they usually just look at the ticket but sometimes punch them. Somehow they seem to remember whose ticket they've checked though, as I've never seen them forget someone who got on later and sat near me and they've never asked me to see my ticket again after a later stop. I've never figured out how they do that.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

< I've never figured out how they do that. >

I think it is called "knowing how to do your job".

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Advance train fares--can you get on at a later stop?

I'm just impressed they can remember a whole train full of people. I don't know if I could.