We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

Hello,

I understand that the programme of events for 5th June includes:

a Thanksgiving Service at St. Paul's, receptions at Mansion House and Guildhall, lunch at Westminster Hall. Quite obviously, all these will be for invited guests only.

After lunch, the Royals will travel by carriage along a processional route from Westminster Palace to Buckingham palace, followed by a balcony appearance and a RAF flypast.

Seating in the vicinity of Buckingham Palace is being assigned by a (now closed) ballot (which was only open to UK residents in any case).

I got this information here:

www.thediamondjubilee.org/central-weekend

Unfortunately, I don't seem to get any more info than the above, especially regarding timing, so I'd appreciate if anyone has further information on the following points:

1) Can members of the public watch the carriage procession freely?

2) Have any details on timings of the procession (and the other events) been published elsewhere?

3) Assuming the Service at St. Paul's will not be open to the public, will it make any sense to be at St. Paul's in the morning to watch invitees coming, or will that be totally non-ceremonial?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
St Paul's Hotel
St Paul's Hotel
557 Reviews
London, UK
Guildhall
Guildhall
112 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,307 Reviews
London, UK
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
23,133 Reviews
London, UK
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

As for watching the carriage procession, you should be able to stand along the route and watch.

I havent seen any more info on this yet.

maybe someone else has?

if not info should hopefully be available soon.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

Hi solotravel,

yes, I hope some fresh info is released soon on the official websites, as after all the events will take place in just two weeks.

Currently, I have found very complete and precise information regarding the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant, the Concert and the Jubilee Beacons, but not so much about 5th June (well, the info in the link I indicated in the original post is quite detailed, but with no hints at all on timings).

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
198 Reviews
London, UK
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
332 Reviews
London, UK
A TripAdvisor Member
Save Reply
3. Re: Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

Same questions here DottIng!

I just happen to be staying in London over the Jubilee weekend and am planning to see the carriages.

1. Has anyone seen it before and can advise a spot where we can see them clearly? And possibly a spot where it is less crowded? (I suppose it should be VERY crowded along the entire route, but I am not sure.)

2. At what time should I arrive at the spot along the route to ensure a good view?

3. I was planning to visit the Westminster Abbey and the Big Ben that morning before I knew there's the procession. Can I still go on with it? I can't find out if they will be closed that morning.

Also, for the Thames pageant,

4. I am not particularly interested in seeing it, and am planning to go to some markets (Old Spitalfields and Brick Lane) that day, by underground. This won't be hindered, right?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 23 May 2012, 19:21
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Jubilee Hotel
Jubilee Hotel
332 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,997 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
28,186 Reviews
London, UK
The Thames
The Thames
198 Reviews
London, UK
Brick Lane
Brick Lane
1,636 Reviews
London, UK
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

Someone will need to confirm that these street markets are open as usual.

5. Re: Diamond Jubilee events - Tue 5th June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:41