We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going solo into a pub

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burlingame...
Level Contributor
256 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Going solo into a pub

Is it acceptable for a woman to go into a pub by herself?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going solo into a pub

Depends - what is the purpose of going in? If its to cause trouble and start a fight, then no.

If its to buy a drink and maybe a meal and relax, then that should be OK.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going solo into a pub

Sitting at the bar and having loads to drink might not be a great idea though!

I usually take a book or newspaper to read.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going solo into a pub

Sitting at the bar and having loads to drink might not be a great idea though!>>>

A statement that is not really gender specific!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going solo into a pub

Depends , will you have a time machine and be going back 50 years?

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going solo into a pub

I would go into a pub solo at lunch time but I would not go into a pub solo in the evening.

but then, I Do go back 50 years......

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going solo into a pub

It very much depends on the pub - but you will usually be able to tell as soon as you walk through the door.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going solo into a pub

It's not gender specific, you'll see people of both sexes on their own. I usually take something to read, a newspaper or a book, and you can then dip in and out of it and also have a glance around the room now and then without looking too much like a spy or a detective. ;-)

It's definitely a tactic that looks most casual and comfortable at lunchtime and early evening. Later on, in a busy pub it can look a bit odd. People will want the seats that are at your table, and at worst, post about 9, drunk people might want to talk to you.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going solo into a pub

I travel to the UK a lot by myself, and don't mind going into a pub by myself - usually for a meal rather than a drink only.

...but I'm 52 and a) pretty confident and b) don't anticipate having to fight off a bunch of male suitors..lol.

Panama City Beach...
Level Contributor
675 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going solo into a pub

I'll admit that I was super self-conscious about this on my first trip! I walked into several, thought I was going to have a panic attack, then walked right back out.

I finally just made myself do it. I ended up going to Hootenannies in Inverness and having a great meal and a local beer. Then, I had the self-confidence to visit a pub in London on my next trip. Both times were for lunch. Everyone was as nice as could be!

Edited: 24 May 2012, 22:58
Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,163 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going solo into a pub

As others have said, it can depend on the pub. I've gone alone into pubs for a drink in "genteel" areas and for meals, more widely. But I usually loiter around outside scoping out the clientele--guys in khakis and nicely dressed women in ones or twos, fine; staggering guys in rugby shirts, maybe pass.

Edit to add to AOlzewski--I know, it only took me about thirty years and twelve visits!

Edited: 24 May 2012, 23:08