We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
40 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

We're scheduled to arrive at 12:10 from the US on Aer Lingus (via Dublin) on a Sunday afternoon in June. My understanding is that we'll go immigration in DUB and will only have to clear customs at LGW? And from what I've read on these forums, customs alone is usually a pretty quick process? We will have checked luggage. So what's a reasonable guess as to what time we'll be able to board a First Capital Connect train toward Central London?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,886 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

Allow about 30 minutes for disembarkation, baggage collection and the walk through Customs. The rail station is adjacent to Gatwick South Terminal building, so the walk from the baggage hall to the station will take a few minutes.

But if you're thinking of booking a specfic FCC train to London there's no need as walk up fare of £9.90 is the same as that booked in advance.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,057 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

If your lucky 30 minutes , if your unlucky who knows ?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

Given they only have to do baggage collection and the 20 seconds of customs 30 minutes is possible - however I always assume my bag is last off the plane so allow an hour. But as has been said there's little point booking specific trains

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
40 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

Thanks. I wasn't planning on booking a specific train, but was trying to figure out how much time we'll have to sightsee our first day.

5. Re: How long will it take to get through Gatwick on arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 09:16