We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

Hello,

I have reviewed the TA forum links and the travel card website but am a bit unclear about a couple of things.

I am arriving into LHR early on a Friday morning and am planning to go to London to see some musuems shops before heading to St. Albans to stay with family (they are elderly and don't get out too much). I wanted to buy the off-peak 1 day travel card but I do not fully understand:

(1) what times am I not allowed to travel - this is the website I read and it says 0430 to 0929 which means AM hours only? Are there no restrictions on evening hours? (www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard.htm)

(2) if I buy a Zones 1-6 off peak 1 day card which costs 3.20 pounds, can this allow me to travel to the St. Albans station (is this on the same tube network)? The map shows only High Barnett to be the nearest station - which other station can I travel to that is nearest to St. Albans on this card to enable a family member to pick me up from the station?

Sorry this is confusing but I have done a lot of research and am struggling with both the peak hour timings and the eligible trains on this kind of card.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
458 reviews
from US$105.30*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.00*
US$334.40
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: 1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

Thank you again all!

Rail traveller - my relatives live in proper St. Albans very close to Abbots Park - however, I am contemplating getting to the last stop of the tube as it is only 7-8 miles from their house - that way I won't have to worry about switching/buying extensions etc. Worst case, if I do have to go to St. Albans (not the abbey station), does that also require me to switch trains and/ or is that infrequent too? Also, are the trains very crowded after 5 i.e. what is considered busy travel time in London during the evening hours?

Hooameye - apologies for the mis-spelling - I let "biology" take over when I typed "Pancreas" instead of "Pancras" :) I will be visiting the British Library and Museum at the end of my day which seems close to the St. Pancras station on the map!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

The nearest tube station is probably High Barnet, some distance away and a slow journey by car in the rush hour. Abbots Park is only 5 minutes from St Albans City station by car and I would head there.

Getting to St Pancras is easy as it's served by a number of tube lines (the tube station in Kings Cross/St Pancras) although it's a bit of a slog (albeit a well marked one) to Thameslink platform B (the platform you need) and both tubes and trains out of London will be busy so I would look to avoid travelling between 4.30 and 7.00 if you can.

An alternative which would work if you are sightseeing in the City (say St Paul's Cathedral) would be to join the train at a couple of places en route to St Pancras such as Blackfriars or City Thameslink.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: 1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

Adamhornets, one of the earlier TA posters mentioned Elstree & Borehamwood as the furthest in zone 6 and it seems to be only 7-8 miles from abbots park so I was contemplating using my pass till there and if my relatives find it inconvenient then I will buy the extension to St. Albans. I like the idea of boarding the train a station earlier as it will be less difficult to navigate and thank you for that tip.

14. Re: 1 day off peak Travel card from LHR to London to St. Albans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:40