We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Hi, I need some advice. Family and I (4 total) will be in London pre-cruise in late July. What area of London would be the best to stay for convenience and attractions. We will utilize the Heathrow express to get in from the airport and we are interested in the classic tourist attractions, shopping and the theater. Any help would be great. I have been getting info on my own but this does not translate to safety of neighborhoods, ease of getting place to place, etc. Thanks,

Bee

Cambridge, England
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Hi beeskip

You don't mention your budget. London is very expensive and you get what you pay for. Lower hotel rates will mean somewhere slightly off the "beaten track".

My favourite place to stay is one of the Thistle Hotels alongside Hyde Park. There are two "main" Thistles - The Thistle Hyde Park and the Thistle Lancaster Gate. There is a tube stop at both Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate so everything is easily accessible from this spot. Or you can take a short walk up to Marble Arch and Oxford Street. If the weather is good, take a stroll across Hyde Park towards Hyde Park corner which will lead you to Buckingham Palace/Picadilly Circus. The Houses of Parliament are a little bit further - i don't know how much walking you like to do!

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

hi

south kensington could be good. near musuems V&A, natural history,science Harrods and Harvey nicks just up the road..not dead central but easy to get into west end on either tube or bus..as its on the picadilly line you could get here direct from h'row

Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Hi, I am the original poster and our budget is approximately 250 US per night. I was given some suggestions from a travel agent...They suggested the Thistle Victoria, Thistle Kensington Place or Gardens (??) but I found a great deal on the Hilton Metropole for 139 (GBP) which includes dinner first night and full breakfast both days. I don't know if this package is good, if the neighborhood is good. Read some pros and cons about all the properties so I'm still wondering what to do. The Thistles seem to be a bit more, I will pay it if necessary. With the kids, I need enough room and cleanliness, and decent location. Any thoughts, suggestions...a big thanks.

Bee

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Bee: If you click on London Hotels (upper left), you can do a search by neighborhood and budget, and then read the reviews for the top rated hotels. There is a lot more choice than just Thistle hotels.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Hi Bee, are you lookiing for 2 rooms or 1 room? How old are the kids? And would you consider a flat rather than a hotel?

Maryland
Level Contributor
19 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Hi Orginal poster again...

Kids are 17 and 14.... We are open to anything.

The Metropole caught my eye because it seemed to have quad rooms and was close to Paddington station (Heathrow Ex) I don't know what the actual convenience of this would be...Are there neighborhoods to stay away from? Where is the most desireable neighborhood to stay inCentral London for tourists....We are excited about the trip and want to make good choices. Thanks again.

Bee

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Bee: Lots of tourists stay in South Kensington (close musuems), Paddington, Bloomsbury (close to British Museum) and/or Victoria (for Gatwick Express), which are all easily accessible to the tube.

London
Level Contributor
206 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

South Kensington would be a good choice

Toowoomba Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

We stayed at Copthorne Tara last year, great location just off Kensington High St , 2 minutes from tube station and buses, near major stores, and easy walk to Hyde Park, near museums. Rooms good, prices will vary depending on time of year. Try Londontown.com for price. We found the best thing, was a fridge in the room! Very rare in London

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area of London to Stay for 2 nights

Pimlico- near Buck House most things only 2 tube stops away IDEAL!