We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Hi All,

Will be travelling to London in late December as a family of 2 adults and 2 older teens, will have 6 days in London. Thinking of a day trip to Bath. I have checked online about independent travel to Bath. We are staying at Premier Inn County Hall so will be close to Waterloo station. This is probably a silly question, but is there a difference between Southwest Trains and First Great Western trains? As they have separate websites, for info and ticket booking, but are they actually the same service? In other words, does it matter which one I use when the time comes to book tickets?

Another quick query, if I want to take advantage of the Groupsave 4 discount for the Off-Peak Day Return tickets, is it still cheaper to buy ahead online compared to on the day or couple of days out at the station? Thanks for any help and advice.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

The fast service to Bath is on FGW from Paddington -- very regular trains.

SWT run a more indirect service from Waterloo via a different and much slower route that goes through Salisbury.

Having said that they will both sell tickets for each others trains.

Off Peak day tickets are the same price on the day as they are in advance.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

At the time of your visit, daylight hours are limited and it will be dark by 16.00 which is a very good reason for not using the route from Waterloo which takes considerably longer and at many times of day involves a change of trains at Salisbury.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Thanks railenthusiast, and so prompt! Good to know off peak day tickets are same price if bought on the day as if bought in advance. Gives us more flexibility. Another quick question based on the information you have given. If I travel from Waterloo and choose to take the FGW from Paddington to Bath, can I buy the tickets at Waterloo station ( and would the ticket price include the Waterloo to Paddington leg), or can I only buy the tickets at Paddington? Thanks.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

If you buy the tickets at Waterloo to travel from Paddington you will have the option of whether or not to include the underground fare in the tickets

It's cheaper than buying a separate underground ticket but more expensive than Oyster.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Thanks dzug. Most likely will be getting Oyster cards too.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Most likely will be getting Oyster cards too.

==============================================

Unless you want to take advantage of the 241 offers which with 4 adults (presumably) could save bundles on many sites and attractions. You would need paper travelcards from Waterloo rail ticket office and a passport sized photo of you did.

daysoutguide.co.uk/attraction-types/2for1lon…

Note - these should be updated for the October - April period when they usually include the Eye and St Paul's.

(From Waterloo you can get the Bakerloo line direct to Paddington for the FGW train to Bath).

Edited: 02 June 2012, 08:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Thanks parkland walk, I am tossing up whether or not to just buy the 7 day paper Travelcard, even though I am only in London for 6 days, and that includes Christmas day when transport is not running. The alternative is to just buy day paper travelcards on those days we plan to go to the the sights that are included on the 2-4-1 offers, and use Oyster at other times. ??maybe I will just get too confused working out which is best value for us, so might take the easy option of just 7 day paper travelcards after all. Would like to use 2-4-1 for Tower of London, St Pauls and maybe London Eye and Hampton Court if time permits.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

Just keep it simple. A 7 day travelcard is £29.20 (zones 1/2) for any time travel. If you combine one day travelcards (£7 off peak zones 1+2/£8.40 anytime)) plus Oyster PAYG it is likely you'll run up a larger bill for no great convenience. As you are staying at the PI CH it is a no-brainer to walk the 6 minutes to Waterloo for paper travelcards.

This just leaves transfers to/from LHR, assuming that is your arrival airport. You can either get singles £5.30 per adult max), Oyster with some PAYG, or with 4 adults and luggage after a long haul flight if arriving from Sydney, a prebooked cab which should be around £35-40.

London
Level Contributor
34 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

If you can specify which trains to travel to Bath on you may find it a lot cheaper to buy advance (not off peak) tickets...an off peak return costs about £65, an advance ticket will cost £30 (two advance singles of £15 each way).

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Bath- Southwest Trains & First Great Western ?

<...an off peak return costs about £65,>

£51.50 actually for a superoffpeak return - just slightly more restrictive in the trains you can use.