We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

Interlaken...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

i'll travel to london in september. arriving at london city airport, we definitely wanna take a taxi to bring us to our hotel. does anyone know how long you have to wait for a taxi? or are there so many that it's really easy to get one? can remember last time i was in london, at victoria station, people were waiting in huge lines to just get a taxi.. don't really want that to happen. otherwise thinking about taking the train/tube to Baker Street. thanks for your help guys!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,728 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

Whenever I've been through or past City Airport there is always a line of taxis waiting.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

I was at London City Airport just on Monday evening. There was a huge line of taxis waiting.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

How long a wait? 10 seconds. Never seen a queue there unless the DLR is down.

Alternative by public transport is to take the Docklands Light Railway to Canning Town, down one escalator to the Jubilee Line towards Stanmore or Wembley. Will certainly be much cheaper and probably faster than a taxi

Interlaken...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

okay, thanks for your help so far! well...how much is a taxi? probably about 30.00£ ? or even more? google tells me it takes about 30-45min to get from city airport to baker street. is public transport really faster? since we won't be in a hurry, i really think we're gonna take the taxi. just for the experience ;-)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

Depends on the time of day and day of the week. If you arrive at LCY in the morning rush hour, it could easily take an hour to get to Baker Street and cost nearer GBP50. To give you an idea, recently I landed at LCY and took a taxi to St Pauls Cathedral which is much nearer than Baker Street and it cost GBP40 and took one hour because of traffic restrictions, road closures etc. I have done it in 20 minutes before so it's pot luck.

The DLR/Jubilee Line option will cost around GBP5 one way, cheaper with an Oyster Card and take around 30 minutes

Interlaken...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

we'll arrive on a saturday, at about 8.30am .... so i guess that could be quite busy right? we'll see, as i said, not in a rush really. thanks anyway for your help:) funny how taxi fares are different in each country. just been to NYC and there, the taxis are sooooo cheap. unbelievable... ;)

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

Yeah, but it takes lot of hard work to become a London Black Taxi driver. They have to learn "The knowledge": tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/…1412.aspx. That's what you're paying for.

Interlaken...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

oh i totally understand! coming from a country where everything is reeeeaally expensive, i'm totally used to fares like that ;)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

Saturday morning at 8:30 shouldn't be too busy so if you still feel like a taxi ride then go for it. I would guess about GBP30-35

I have used NYC taxis in the past, on at least 2 occasions I had to give the driver directions. Add the language differences (many NYC taxi drivers don't speak English) as well and you can see why London cabbies are the best in the world!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: waiting time for a taxi at London City Airport?!

I'd take the DLR and Jubilee line to Baker Street, but if you want to split the difference you can take the DLR to Tower Gateway and taxi from there.

The DLR runs at or above ground on its journey from LCY so there is much to see from the train windows. The stations are step free, with lifts and escalators to and from the platforms and street level.

If you do take the DLR to Tower Gateway, you shouldn't have too much trouble hailing a cab from the station forecourt as the Minories is part of a busy route from Tower Bridge and Wapping.