We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a camera

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy a camera

I would like to buy a new camera while I'm in London and would like to get the VAT refund.

1. recommendations for best prices for compact cameras, recent models.

2. I'm taking a cruise round-trip from Harwich and returning to London, then on to Belgium and the Netherlands before leaving the EU. Will I be able to get the refund in Harwich or only at Schiphol. Is it a cash refund on the spot?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,585 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a camera

At Schipol, as you have to be prepared to show the item to prove that it has not been used within the EU. If you take it out of the box you may not get your refund.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,376 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a camera

To get your refund, you also have to purchase the camera from a participating retailer. They will give you forms which you get stamped at the point where you leave the European Union (not the United Kingdom) - so in your case, Schipol Airport*. You may have to post the forms back to the store to receive your refund - find out from the store what you need to do.

You can only claim the refund if the goods are unused, are for your own personal use, and the form is stamped by the end of the third month after the one in which the goods are purchased (so forms for goods purchased during June 2012 must receive a stamp by 30th September). Also, the goods may be subject to duty when you bring them into your home country - check your customs allowance.

* Unless of course you are flying on to another European Union Member State ......

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a camera

http://tinyurl.com/cdkzgxv

Bought the camera case combination offer a few weeks ago and am very pleased.

Ordered online Saturday night and picked up my camera Monday morning near my accommodation.

Didn't get a VAT refund, though - I doubt Argos participates.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 17:44
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a camera

You could look at camera review sites (there are several good ones) and get an idea of what you want, and it s cost.

To be honest, I wouldn't have thought the hassle of reclaiming VAT would be worth it, for a small camera.

If you see a model you like you can probably save about 20% by shopping around, anyway.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a camera

I bought a new Canon AS3300 IS digital camera a few months ago and it only cost £60.00 - a saving of about £60 off the RRP.

I think the website was called Amagon or Imazon, or something like that.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a camera

I have narrowed the selection to 3. On Amazon.uk they are priced at £250-330.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a camera

You do realise that, if you do reclaim the VAT, that is money that the UK badly needs to pay off its debts?

You may want to think about the long-term consequences of your actions. Where would we be if everyone reclaimed the VAT?

Wouldn't it be better to let the Government spend it wisely and help the UK's econnomy re-grow?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a camera

Thanks, peterscot. Are all your 19000 posts that helpful?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,823 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to buy a camera

You can safely ignore me. I'm a tax exile. :-)

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to buy a camera

Ask the Netherlands forum this question also.