We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

using new iPad wifi in London

El Paso, TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
using new iPad wifi in London

Has anyone used a new generation iPad (wifi only) in London? If so, did it work on any wifi connection? Is there anything I should be aware of before I decide whether or not to take the iPad with me to the Olympics? Tech advice would be much appreciated.

london
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Wifi is the same anywhere in the world. If you connect to wifi in Texas, you'll be able to connect in London.

I don't much use public wifi, but I believe BT Openzone is the largest network of access points http://www.btopenzone.com/

You can find free access in coffee shops and so on.

Wifi (free) will be on the underground network by the Olympics.

No reason not to bring it really?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/05/bt-on-trac…

londonist.com/2012/06/london-underground-nam…

itproportal.com/2012/…

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Hi, Starbucks wifi is free via BT open zone other places like Wetherspoons, cafe Nero use the cloud and McDonald's are changing to 02 which other places are using admittedly, I thought they needed a mobile number to first register.

Depending where you are going most places may have free wifi but Boingo have a mobile plan possibly covers iPad and that seems to cover virtually all premium hotspots from what I've read.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
214 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Used my new iPad in the UK for two weeks in May, no problems overall. Many coffee shops have free WiFi. My hotel charged 15 GBP per day for up to three devices, but, I went next door to Pret a Manger.

Stayed in the Cotswolds for a week, used the free Wifi in the small hotels, but, oftentimes, there was a connection only in the public areas of the hotels.

Were I to go again, I would opt for the BT openzone hotspot arrangement, as I didn't want to lug the iPad with me every step of the trip, in and out of cafes, etc.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
188 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Took my New iPad from Dallas to London 3 weeks ago and wi-fi worked fine and connected automatically no problem. Our B&B had free wi-fi. My iPad is an AT&T 4G and had never had an AT&T sim card in it. We took it to the Apple Store on Regent Street (about 4 blocks from Picadilly Circus) and they installed a UK Vodaphone sim card in it. No roaming charges. It cost £5 and expired in a month. The reason we didn't rely exclusively on wi-fi as we usually do was we used it to power our GPS in a rental car driving from Inverness to Skye. The GPS was also helpful in London so we had to spend another £5 to "top up" our minutes. This was done online. To make online purchase of minutes we gave actual credit card info, but substituted our hotel address because online will not work with non-UK address. Additional tip: awaiting our flight back to DFW at Heathrow we wasted an hour plugging iPad into crowded shopping mall area with "free charging stations". Any unused plugs were available because they were broken. They charged only 2% in a half hour. We then figured out that American Airlines used the gates toward 40, walked 50 feet down the empty hallway, sat on a couch next to real electric outlet. 100% charged! Don't forget your plug converter!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
6 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Thank you for your very helpful post ,

Edited: 28 January 2013, 19:16
Jackson, MS
Level Contributor
268 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

get the boingo app, sign up, use it while you're there (pretty good coverage) then drop the subscription when you return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

download o2wii - it will search for nearest free wifi aslo you can get from Mc Donalds, Cafe , and some mobile phone shops etc for free.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

Or look around for the signs that say "Free wi-fi"

Seems to work a treat.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: using new iPad wifi in London

I agree but boingo can save a small fortune at places like Marriott and it should work at Premier Inn if the system behaves but I believe the problem with that was looking at some months ago.