We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New BBC series about London streets

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
New BBC series about London streets

The first episode of this wonderful slice of social history took Charles Booth's social maps of London in the 1880's and 1890's as a starting point for a look at the "Oxford Street of South London" and how the post war town planners did more damage than the Luftwaffe in 1960's Deptford.

bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2012/06/secret-history-of…

timeout.com/london/feature/2709/preview-the-…

Future episodes include Camberwell and Islington. If you see one history series on TV this year, make it this one. Truly stunning.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: New BBC series about London streets

I see BBC America has 2012 beginning June 28. I don't see much else.

People here are disgusted with BBCA as many pay extra for it in their cable package and the quality has dropped so badly- just an endless stream of old TopGear, Ramsey, and Who.

The Tube looks fascinating! Thanks Adam-Chance, Heather, and Ruby.

I am going to work on getting the iplayer to work for me as it looks like this going to be the only way to see alot of these things.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 11:02
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Flannan

Post 31

Looks as if ‘The tube’ has been retitled to ‘The Underground’ for the BBC overseas broadcasts.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Flannan, You're disgusted with BBCA? I get annoyed with the BBC owned UKTV when they foisted The Only Way is Essex on us and treated it as if it was something worthwhile! Ha. I barely made it through five minutes of that scripted reality cr@p. Occasionally they redeem themselves though with Luther and a few other things. But it is a digital pay service (though it is part of the basic package here) and I expect more than endless repeats of old stuff. Broadcast tv has almost, almost given up on BBC tv (especially docos) though we did get Frozen Planet,Sherlock, Rev, and Call the Midwives.

And Adam-Chance. Yes, I got momentarily confused into thinking it was different series. I guess they thought people would think The Tube was about packaging??!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: New BBC series about London streets

I'm also very disappointed with BBCAmerica, although it does appear we'll get a few things (yay, Twenty Twelve!). They did also carry the Diamond Jubilee coverage, and showed Marr's "Diamond Queen". They show British dramas on some Wednesday nights (currently running "White Heat", for example, previously things like "Luther" and "Whitechapel"), but other than that it's very disappointing.

Fortunately, we get "Sherlock" via Masterpiece Theater on PBS. Like Flannan, I'll have to work on iPLayer, and use You Tube. Of course, the best option would be to be in London more often!

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Missed it any good?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Just released online this week: 27 documentaries about London from the BBC archives.

bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/collections/p00synd3/london

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Thanks for the link to those old documentaries, Glyn. I just watched one of them, 'We live by the River' (1955) and it's really evocative of London in the fifties. I hope to watch a few of the others before long.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: New BBC series about London streets

There just isn't time to see all these great BBC programmes.

Tonight's London Streets on BBC2 clashes with the Thames/Turner programme on BBC4. And we're out anyway.

Fair enough: that's what iPlayer's for. But almost ALL our available TV watching time is taken up with catch-up. There's no time left to watch live TV, never mind the 40-year old archive progs you've wanted to see since they first showed a clip in some other terrific documentary.

Anyone moaning there's nothing worthwhile on the box just isn't looking..

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,374 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: New BBC series about London streets

Flanner I watch more BBC* then the channels of my own country, though I do use the subtitles. Am glad that I can catch the programme on BBC2 tonight(2100 BST, 2200 CET(yes the dutch will be playing but i live in a flat so when I hear a lot of swearing and/or cheers(fingers crossed that there will be mostly cheers) I quickly switch channels to see whats happening)

* documentaries, Horrible Histories, QI, Sherlock, DrWho etc

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: New BBC series about London streets

‘The Secret History of Our Streets‘ episode this evening was about Camberwell Grove, a street in South London, a very interesting programme, again using the maps that Charles Booth made to record the social status of each houses occupancy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jzpm3