We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any suggestions?

I am flying into LHR on 16/6 and am figuring out where I'll be spending the night...probably just an airport hotel since I arrive at 9:30pm from NYC. I originally was hoping to see a show on Sunday 17/6 but it seems the options are pretty limited. I have been to London several times before, but just wondering if anyone knows of something special going on that day or has any other recommendations for a solo traveler. I'm taking the train to Paris Sunday night and haven't booked the ticket yet, so in that sense my day has flexibility. Any suggestions appreciated!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.60*
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,233 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any suggestions?

Suggestions...

1) Book train tickets *now* as they will only get more expensive the longer you put it off.

2) If possible, fly directly into Paris.

3) If you do go with the train, stay in London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any suggestions?

There are , as always, lots of things going on at http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any suggestions?

Book the rail ticket NOW. Right now. Stop reading this page and book the Eurostar to Paris. Go.

Air fares for LHR-CDG are on the high side for travel on 17 June; from £179 single. Eurostar departures at 11401 and 1501 are available from £112.

After you book the train or plane, you can sort out where to stay on the night of the 16th. The Wardonia Hotel near King's Cross and St Pancras has bijou singles for £65 for the 16th. The rooms are very small, but the price is right.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 19:25
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any suggestions?

Go with the good advice from TP. And pick a show from your previous post.

Enjoy the town.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any suggestions?

I have the trains booked! So even though I'm arriving at 9:30pm to LHR everyone seems to be leaning toward a hotel in the city rather than at the airport.

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any suggestions?

Good for you! The central hotel recommendation is so you can have an early start on Sunday morning and mainly so you have your luggage closeby Sunday evening. You can look for a hotel/b&b in the StPancras area and ask to store your bags until your Eurostar departure, for which you need to be there about 45 minutes in advance.

If you're prepared to spend some time waiting, you can try early queuing for day seats for a matinee of your choice on Sunday morning. Even if they're sold out, most theatres have some day seats or return seats available on first come first serve basis. They start selling them at the box office at 10am, but you need to be in line earlier (I read that queues for Matilda start from early morning at the Cambridge Theatre, but that show is more than worth an early start!!)

I would think your chances of getting one single ticket are fine. But if you're out of luck, you can always stop by at TKTS on Leicester Square after that (at 10.30 or so, it's within walking distance of the Cambridge theatre) TKTS always have some half price tickets, but you have to pick from what they have left: http://www.tkts.co.uk/whats-on-sale/

7. Re: Any suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 22:16