We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there unsafe ATM's in London

Meridian, Idaho
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Are there unsafe ATM's in London

Do I need to be careful of using ATM's in certain places in London? Where are the best places to use an ATM? Would I get a better rate in a bank. Thanks!

Edited: 09 June 2012, 18:16
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Best Seller
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

The ATM's in London are just like ATM's in all major cities. There are safe ones and then there are the not so safe ones to use. I like to use the ATM's inside the bank. If the banks are closed, then I will use the ATM's outside of the bank. If you have a Bank of America ATM card...then you can use the Barclay's bank ATM's without any fees.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

You should be careful of using ATMs wherever you are. Take the usual precautions, don't use it if it appears to be tampered with, and cover your hand when putting in your PIN.

The safest ones to use would be the ones actually inside a bank.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

I prefer ones actually inside shops to ones on the street, I always think they are less likely to have been tampered with.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

Have never had any problems using ATMs in London but would simply recommend common sense, don't use an ATM late at night in any area, try to use ATMs inside a bank if possible, and if you suspect that someone is following you after withdrawing from an ATM go into the nearest shop/cafe and report this to the staff very loudly - the likelihood is that this action in itself will send any would-be thief on his/her way.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

Expanding on the last post, I work in retail and know that thieves will loiter near ATMs, watch someone withdraw a sustantial amount of money then follow them until they have the opportunity to relieve them of their funds, this can happen in any area, in order to avoid this tourists should try not to keep money in a wallet in their trouser pockets or in a purse in their handbags - certainly not in a backpack - but rather in a bumbag or money belt or in a small bag/purse kept on a long strap around the body and held in front.

This is even more essential at any time on the tube when overcrowded carriages are a gift to pickpockets.

This goes for any town or city anywhere in the world.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

You are likley to get a betteroverall rate at an ATM than over the counter in the bank, to answer the other part of your question

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

It is, in fact, hard to find a bank these days where you can just walk in and change money.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

My trip is in March2013. I have done a little research, I think I may order some currency through my bank before I leave so I don't have to scurry around looking for an ATM especially if I arrive in London at night. I have Bank of America. I'm not ordering a lot so I don't have a wad of bills, but just enough to start with. I thought about that to, and didn't want to arrive at night time using the ATM across the street!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

A lot of shops, pubs and Post Offices offer card holders a free cash-back facility when they use a debit card to pay for something; you don’t use an ATM.

I’m not sure how well this works for US cards though.

I’ve not read of a visitor using this facility whilst here and how they got on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there unsafe ATM's in London

In the retail outlet I work for we don't accept American Express or probably other American debit cards.