We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid congestion charge?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
febe3
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid congestion charge?

HI, we are travelling to London on July 21st to pick son up from airport. Are coming the day before so can spend day in London then spending night at hotel near Heathrow before picking him up. We plan to go to The Tower of London on our day in London. My question is ,is it worth parking outside London to avoid the congestion charge and paying massive amounts for parking...and then tubing it in. It will be me, hubby and younger daughter. We are travelling from Nottingham

Thanks a lot

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

If you are planning to visit London on the 21st/ 22nd then congestion charge will not be a problem as it's the weekend. That said, you may have difficulties parking and it is just before the Olympics, so you may still prefer to use public transport. Where are you staying?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Tubing in is always better than driving in.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,506 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Looks as if OP wishes to go to London first then to their hotel so where's the best place to catch a Tube at the start of the M1? Or what are parking costs like in the ToL area?

Better still is there a suitable train station within the London zones they could use so they can get a Travelcard that is valid for the 2-4-1 offers to half the cost of entrance to the Tower

Edited: 14 June 2012, 10:23
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

"Tubing in is always better than driving in."

Wholeheartedly disagree. It depends on each individual situation. With a little bit of research it's not that big an issue for a confident driver to drive in London, especially on a weekend. Luckily for me I know Central London streets quite well and there are plenty of parking options available. But a confident driver can handle London streets as long as they adapt their driving style accordingly.

I had no difficulty at all parking in Central London for both the Jubilee flotilla day and the Jubilee concert. On both those days the tube network didn't cope well at all. Sometimes it's even better to walk if you're only going a few stops due to the distance you'll cover walking down to platforms and through the various walkways - to say nothing of waiting for trains.

I'm not averse to using the tube and used it for many years when I worked in The City and Central London - but driving in the area is not as big an issue as many on here seem to think it is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

I certainly tend to drive in for weekends/ evenings, but if you haven't done so before it may be daunting. In this instance I would probably advise parking at whichever hotel the OP has chosen and using public transport from there, if it is convenient.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Whoops! I'd agree - OP, if you're staying near Heathrow you could park up at Hounslow West tube station, and get the Piccadilly Line London bound and then swap to the District Line at perhaps Hammersmith (about 5 yards to the other platform) and then catch a train to Tower Hill.

febe3
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Thanks for all your replies, much apprecieated. Think hubby would drive in, is confident re driving but not knowing London like the back of our hands is perhaps a disadvantage. We are staying just north east of heathrow in Premier Inn.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Is it possible to go from Wigan to Islington avoiding the congestion charge any day's , and how m8uch is it just to pick up thing's , in a people carrier. Please.

Manchester, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

Is it possible to go from Wigan to Islington any day's avoiding congestion charge Than You.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,166 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid congestion charge?

LMGTFY:

www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/congestioncharging/