We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phone and data

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
424 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
phone and data

my son will be coming to london to study for 1 month in july, and wants to know what is the cheapest way to get text and data on his phone...he has an unlocked phone , so could buy an english sim, but will this work on short trips to europe....have heard there are great unlimited plans....do these include international text??/....help, please!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,392 Reviews
from US$124.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
542 Reviews
from US$112.30*
London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phone and data

Check out the Carphone Warehouse website which provides a very good summary of options.

No need to buy from them of course but it gives you a good idea of various tariffs.

There are mobile phone shops every few yards in London!!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,215 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: phone and data

Tariffs and rules change all of the time. There are plenty of cheap PAYG tariffs from the various phone shops and supermarket chains like Tesco & Asda but trying to find a cheap overseas tariff - which is what a European visit would need - is something that would try the patience of a saint.

BTW how is he going to have enough time for trips to Europe in his one month study

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phone and data

Hi, For data depends where he is staying, does his phone have wifi? If so depending where he's staying check if it has wifi, although T Mobile offer an exceptionally good £5 deal a month for 500mb of data with 3g speeds in some areas up to a good 2-3mb/s on that network it may suit him, they also offer international text bolt ons etc so that may work out well.

Also, depending on his phone model, consider getting a skype subscription / deal may be a lot cheaper to text you through that plus free phone calls to the rest of the world. Also, Boingo have an exceptionally good mobile plan for users at $7.95 a month ./ £5.25 uk currency and can be done one month at a time.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phone and data

Could be worth looking at giffgaff for a sim card. £10 buys unlimited data for a month and several hundred minutes' talk and so many texts I just have no idea.

I don't know about European packages but there's a huge community at giffgaff.com that can answer just about any question.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phone and data

It seems you can get some good data from doing topups but it reads to me like it takes a few days for them to take effect. Is this true? I am in London 3 days and want the topup in effect right away. Which carrier gives me this option?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,215 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: phone and data

< £10 buys unlimited data for a month >

In your dreams. If you use their sim to tether to a laptop and Microsoft does a big update at 2:00am they pretty soon close your account.

So basic browsing and email only

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phone and data

Giffgaff is a good suggestion but it relies on users to help each other out in case of any problems. It runs on the O2 network so coverage will be excellent. I actually use giffgaff for IPAD 3G access as the tariffs are very good indeed.

Mentioned in this post
The O2
The O2
3,963 Reviews
London, UK
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phone and data

The topups I have done were instantaneous. Never heard of "days" to take effect

9. Re: phone and data

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 04:40