We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe pkg tour

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
rochester
3 posts
Save Topic
Europe pkg tour

My wife, 16 yr old daughter and I plan on taking Cosmos trip called from St Pauls' to St. Peters. Anyone been on that trip? What should I expect from an organized tour? I have never done one before. I understand the whirlwindness of them but waht are the pros and cons? How are the hotels on these things? Any advice on dinners in London, Paris, Florence, Venice, Rome? Cool spots to take a 16 yr old with expensive tastes but limited budget?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe pkg tour

I haven't taken the tour you mention, but I did take Cosmos "if it's Tuesday it must be Belguim" tour. London, Paris, Lake Lucerene, Venice, Vienna, Saltzburg, Rhine, Cologne and Amersterdam all in 15 days. The pace is fast, you only see the highlights, you are up early, generally your suitcases need to be out in the hall by 6:30-7:00am. The price points are good, the hotels range from dorm room to nice depending on the city. On our tour our breakfasts and most of our dinners were included. Tours are a good way to scout out and area or for a first time visitor. We took a tour in 2000, spent 1 week in London, 1 week in Paris on our own in 2002, a month in Italy in 2004 on our own and will be heading back to England in the May for a 3 week trip again on our own. Take time to stop and enjoy...sit in an outdoor cafe in Paris and Venice...and most of all..ENJOY!

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe pkg tour

Hi--I took the same tour in 1999--it was fun and much as described by the earlier responder. Pace is a bit hectic, but you get to see a lot, catch a nap on the bus, etc. Be sure to take some warmer-weather clothes (light colors, too) for Rome; I went very end of April to mid-May, and Rome was quite warm. I've taken two other Cosmos trips back to back and now will leave very soon for two more Cosmos trips back to back; that is to say, I think what you get for the money is definitely a very good value.

somewhere in florida
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe pkg tour

i'm a cosmos/globus fan myself. i like the organized, we'll take care of everything, way these companies work. if it is your first time traveling abroad, i think it's the only way to go to get a first taste of europe. however, where they get you is on the 'optional' excursions. something that isn't mentioined that much in the brochures. if you look in the itinerary of your tour, you will see B,L,D (which is breakfast, lunch and dinner). everywhere there isn't a dinner included, thats where your optionals will be. or a day at leisure, is another one. mostly these are big cities like paris, venice or rome.....whether you go or not is personal preference.if you think it's worth the money...... but my suggestion would be do the things that are most important to you. if you've always wanted to go on a gondola ride, do it...... but 'rome by night' at $75.00, including dinner, per person, well, thats excessive to say the least. the moulin rouge is another one that i heard is grossly overpriced, and most people were disappointed.....another idea to save some money, would be to hire a cab and go do some of them on your own........... have fun!

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
182 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe pkg tour

My brother and his wife just back from a Globus tour of six countries in 16 days. They enjoyed it very much, stayed in high-end hotels for the most part, but as the previous poster mentioned, where they get you is on the "optionals." My brother said they used common sense on this, and for them London was the best city because they could just take the bus and go sightseeing without any problem. An organized tour was a great way to see a "snapshot" of Europe. It's a hectic pace, but it was the only way they could see so much of Europe. Flight was fine - direct flight from Chicago.