We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Hi there,

I'm looking for any recommendations on rental car companies that offer automatic cars at competitive prices. We need an auto - we can't drive manual. From what I've looked at so far, they are twice as much as a manual. If anyone knows any reputable companies that may offer them at a better cost, I would really appeciate it.

3 Jan 2013 pickup - from London. Kings Cross/St Pancras is where we are staying, but happy to go out to Heathrow to pick up as we will be heading in that direction anyway.

14 Jan dropoff - Edinburgh. Once again, not fussed where we drop off, but perhaps the airport as that's our next move.

Thanks very much in advance!

Edited: 17 June 2012, 09:30
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,239 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Check www.autoeurope.com.au

Route planners www.viamichelin.com www.theaa.com

www.visitbritain.com

Edited: 17 June 2012, 09:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

When it came to automatic car availability, I did not find much difference in price between companies. In the end, I went with Hertz.

Overall, I found the rates a lot cheaper than I expected - especially when booked in advance.

London
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

The deals change all the time - you need to search all the major companies to see who has the best deal for your dates.

All the rental companies have autos, but they always cost considerably more.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
893 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

We found the cost of an automatic was just under $100 dearer for a 3 week hire. This was with Enterprise. We booked from Australia. There was no additional cost for one way hire. However, when we went to pick up the car at Heathrow, the only automatic they had was a BIG type of 4 wheel drive, which we didn't want because of extra fuel costs and also we were doing lots of driving on minor roads. We took a manual, but were not happy about it. We always seem to get an unwanted upgrade, so next time we plan to book a very small car - and I expect it'll just be our luck to get that car and no upgrade. Wherever you book, I would ring a few days before and stress that you can't drive a manual. Also, it's not a bad idea to pick up the car outside London, to avoid the congestion charge, not to mention the traffic.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

I always seem to find the best rates with autoeurope or Sixt.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Seeing as how you are staying near St Pancras/Kings Cross, why not check out the Hertz rental location at Russell Square (just a few blocks from St Pancras). I've rented from them and they have very competitive prices (although I've always rented a manual, so not sure about the automatic). If you are headed north, it would save you some time I would think, from going all the way to Heathrow to get the car. And it's easy enough to go north from that location.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Thanks everyone for he advice. Is very strange but I've noticed that is I book Rou the Australian website of any company, it's on average 200AUD cheaper than booking throu the UK counterpart. Weird.

FullSailMom, we're heading west toward Cardiff, hence why heathrow works well, and like I said in the first post, the driver is uneasy about driving in central London. I'm not, but I'm under 25 so I won't be driving.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

Driving west from the KIngs Cross area is incredibly simple and I'd suggest more sensible than jumping into a car at Heathrow and straight onto a motorway.

You may find part of the price differential relates to insurance but I'm not sure what insurance there would be if booked through an Aussie website.

I've secured some of my best rental rates in January - after all who wants to rent a car then? For a manual VW Golf I've rented at £13 a day but I'm not sure what the premium would be for an automatic.

There are likely to be promotions for January rentals at some point but it's probably too far in advance at the moment for these. If you can secure a good price now do so but don't be afraid to wait - car hire isn't like airline pricing and I often book up the day before and still get good rates.

In 99% of cases I can get the best rate by booking direct rather than agents such as Auto-Europe and believe me it is far better dealing direct than via an agent - basically if you have any queries you can actually get through to someone that has access to systems (you don't get that via agents).

9. Re: Automatic car rental in January 2013 - reputable yet cheap.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:42