We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Shelter Island, New...
5 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

My husband and I arrive from US at 10AM at Heathrow on July 25 a Wed. I am trying to determine if we should take the tube( already have my Oyster card) or the Express. We are staying at a friends house in Chelsea and so are equal distance to the South Kensington and Sloane Sq stations. We will be jet lagged and are wondering if the Express will be easier to Paddington and then take a taxi to Chelsea( I understand it is about 12-15 pounds) or the tube from Paddington. Or is there a car service that for two people might work out to be the least expensive for the convenience? IF so which ones?

On the return we leave to go to Heathrow from Chelsea on Sunday, July 29 very early( we want to be at Heathrow by about 8AM). Again what is our best travel choice and what time should we plan on leaving?It is a Sunday but it is during the Olympics

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,260 reviews
from US$126.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
457 reviews
from US$105.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,086 reviews
from US$149.70*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$301.60*
US$335.10
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

HEX or HEC is probably the worst combination of inconvenience and cost.

Either get a car service door to door or tube to South Ken which is direct no changes.( IME after many overnight flights, it's not that point at which you are tired after deplaning and getting through the airport which wakes you up - it's later in the day you hit a wall.)

First tube from South Ken on a Sunday is slightly tricky - there are trains from 07 12 but this only goes to T4. Depending on which terminal you need it may be better to book a return car service. (Some cab companies may offer a discount if booking both ways).

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k488…

Shelter Island, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Thanks I will check out the car services now. On the return day we are actually going to the car rental area as we are renting a car to head to Weymouth for the sailing event because our daughter is on the USA 2012 Olympic Sailing Team. Before going to weymouth we will be driving around the country for 3 days seeing gardens etc.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,644 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

On the return day we are actually going to the car rental area

===============================================

Then whoever you are renting from will have information on shuttles/transport to your terminal.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

I live in Chelsea and normally use a car service -they meet you from the plane (after customs ) help with luggage and will drive you to where you are staying for around 35 pounds I use www.simplyairports.co.uk but there are many equally good companies

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Congratulations to your daughter.

Shelter Island, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Thanks again for all the advice. I like the idea of the car service and will probably book. With luggage it sounds tricky to find the Express train, get on board, then change at Paddington to subway or cab. Door to door will be worth the price.

My new question: is will it take much longer by the car service than the train/ tube or cab route? I figue, after customs, we won't be leaving the airport until 11:15 AM or so. Therefore rush hour traffic should be done, right? About how long should it take to get to Chelsea by the car service?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Unless you are travelling with steamer trunkes I can't see the point of a car service to somewhere that has a direct Tube connection from Heathrow

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,053 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

About how long should it take to get to Chelsea by the car service?

About 1 hour. No-one knows what the traffic will be like. But with a car service, it doesn't matter as its fixed price, whereas with a black cab, the meter is running even if you are stuck in traffic.

Shelter Island, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

Alanrow,I appreciate your thoughts but we are in our sixties, we are new to London, we will be in the UK for 3 weeks and hence have a lot of luggage. Therefore it just seems easier to not have to make transfers. And our friend who is allowing us to stay in her place in Chelsea warned us that the tube would not be a good idea for us.

peterscot, Thanks . And I just called one car service and they said the same: about an hour. Good to know, as I try to plan our first day

Level Contributor
536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Express VS Tube during Olympic time

The tube can be a real drag with luggage and I don't think you'll regret the little luxury of a car. Sounds like a fantastic trip, enjoy!