We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasties and sausage rolls

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Pasties and sausage rolls

I am lucky to have two pasty shops within walking distance of my hotel. My question is: can you buy the pasties and rolls hot so that they can be eaten out of hand? I won't have access to a microwave or oven. thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

<< Haven't the Government done a u turn on paste tax? >>

I better get my wallpaper up soon then.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/pasties.html

As with all these things, everyone has their own "genuine" recipe. One branch of my family were from East Cornwall. The beef had to be "chuck" steak always sliced, never minced. The swede (they called it "turnip") was just as important as the potato and onion, all of which were again thinly sliced, never minced.

Enjoy your pasty search (which I would suggest should start with Greggs as a baseline) - and avoid anything made by Ginsters.

Mike

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

This is the same Ginsters pasty maker from Cornwall? :p

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

Last year I had a traditonal steak pasty from The West Cornwall Pasty shop on Paddington station. It was good - a hot, tasty mix of potato/onion/swede (aka turnip, or rutabaga to our friends across The Pond) and the beef was not gristly.

They also have a rather amusing website

http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/home/

This opinion comes from someone bred and born in Cornwall and, no, I have no connections with the WCPS ;-)

Edited: 18 June 2012, 20:31
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

I can never wait to get to Gatwick to get my pastie fix just before I board the train to London and it's usually standing room only on the train as I always seem to arrive during rush hour so if you see someone trying to juggle a coffee and a pastie with her eyes closed, it's me :-))

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

Just a note: In the US rutabagas and swedes are the same thing and a turnip is something different.

Rutabags are a large orange turnipy thing with a purple skin, many times dipped in wax as a preservative. Turnips are smaller, with white flesh and white/purple. Rutabags are often considered sweeter than turnips.

It is my understanding that rutabags originated as a cross between the turnip and a member of the cabbage family.

My mother's family is from the Canadian praries and she was brought up on rutabagas and we ate them often, but she never cooked true turnips.

Just wanted to clear this up for US readers, I consider a pasty made with rutabagas superior to one made with turnips though I know both can be delicious.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

I've only eaten pasties from the upper peninsula of Michigan. the beef was minced with potato, onion, and rutabaga. The place that had the best ones, in my opinion, started with an "L" and was about 10 minutes over the Mackinac Island bridge. Earlier today, I was looking at a pasty website and saw "swede" and didn't have the slightest idea what they were talking about. Now, I know. I was looking forward to my trip before but the search for pasties will be icing on the cake.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

"This is the same Ginsters pasty maker from Cornwall? :p"

Yep. In the same way that not all beer brewed in Burton is great, not all pasties made in Cornwall are memorable. In fact, my favourite pasties are these from just over the border : http://www.ivordewdney.co.uk/

Carol - that's how I think most of us would define turnips (white, smaller) and swede (purple/orange,larger). But in Cornwall and Devon, "Turnip" is often used to describe what we'd call a swede.

Mike

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

<<< Carol - that's how I think most of us would define turnips (white, smaller) and swede (purple/orange,larger). But in Cornwall and Devon, "Turnip" is often used to describe what we'd call a swede. >>>

It's the opposite in Scotland!

See Haggis, Neeps (turnips) and tatties.....

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,537 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Pasties and sausage rolls

A good Cornish pasty is made with skirt beef, onion, potatoes (teddies) and turnip. The pastry is short crust, NEVER flakey or puff pastry. And never ever eat anything made by Ginsters.