We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville
1 post
Save Topic
October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

Hello! I have been working on my schedule and I have a few questions as well. There will be two of us. Here are our Plans. Trip is October 13-21st. We will be staying at the Hilton London Hyde Park.

Day 1- Saturday 13th- Overnight flight from Charlotte to London

Day 2- Sunday 14th- We land at Gatwick at 7:20 am. We plan on doing the Hop on Hop off tour, mostly to get our bearings as this is my first trip to London. We are looking for a place close to the hotel where we can purchase a few groceries for the week.. Any Suggestions?

Day 3- Monday 17th Westminster Abbey ( touring this) Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly circus where we plan to eat at Rainforest Cafe. Should we tour the abbey first? which order should we visit each site?

Day 4- Tuesday 18th-Kensington Gardens and Palace (We plan to tour the Palace and we would like to have tea at the Orangery) Hyde Park and Harrods.

Day 5- Wednesday 19th- St. James Park, St. Pauls Cathedral (Touring it) and Buckingham Palace.

Day 6- Thursday 20th- Day trip to Paris

Day 7- Friday 21st- Half day trip to Stonehendge, Returning in the evening eating at Hard Rock Cafe. Should it be easy to get a cab from Hard Rock back to the hotel?

Day 8- London Eye, Thames River Cruise. We want to be at the London Eye as soon as it opens which it says online will be 10 am. we can depart from the Waterloo pier at 11:30 or 12:10. Is this enough time? We will disembark at Greenwich pier, what would be great to see here? We would also like to visit the Globe Theatre as well. We plan on taking a cab back from Globe theatre.

Any suggestions would be appreciate, this is our first trip so we are excited! Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

Day 3 - Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, Rainforest Cafe is the logical order

Day 7 - There should be "hundreds" of taxis passing the HRC in the evening as well as those dropping people off there.

Day 8 - Greenwich, << what would be great to see here >> Almost everything there is great - Cutty Sark, Maritime Museum, Royal Observatory or even just the view from the top of the hill. Not to mention walking a little further from the top to Blackheath.

london
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

<< Day 5- Wednesday 19th- St. James Park, St. Pauls Cathedral (Touring it) and Buckingham Palace.>>

take the tube from your hotel to St Pauls, tour it, then walk over to Bank station and get the tube to Westminster ... walk through to St James Park, then follow the length of the park to Buckingham Palace ... from there either go to your left to Victoria station or to your right to Green Park station

Edited: 20 June 2012, 08:26
Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

>>>Day 1- Saturday 13th

>>>Day 2- Sunday 14th

>>>Day 3- Monday 17th

>>>Day 4- Tuesday 18th

>>>Day 5- Wednesday 19th

What happened to the 15th and 16th?

15th October is a Monday and so on.

If you are booking trip (like to Paris) suggest you check your days and dates carefully !

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

In Grenwich try to see the John Harrison clocks, possibly the most amazing clocks you will ever see. They really are works of art.

He spent his life trying to solve the problem of keeping time while at sea, and the 4 clocks he built are in the museum.

He built four main clocks (H1, H2, H3 and H4) and spent years and years on each one.

More on Harrison here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,648 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

St James' Park, Buckingham Palace and London Eye would be better as part of day 3 as they are close to Westminster Abbey & Trafalgar Square, then you could combine St Pauls & Greenwich (take the DLR to Island Gardens, walk to the river edge, look at the view, go through the foot tunnel to Greenwich). You can then use the river on the way back.

As for the Hard Rock Cafe, why come all that way to eat at an American food chain?

If you haven't booked your flights then consider a multi-city ticket flying into London & out of Paris, move the Eurostar to day 8 so you get to spend a night in Paris and not have to retrace your steps back to London

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

>>>As for the Hard Rock Cafe, why come all that way to eat at an American food chain?

I had a friend who worked with me when I travelled on business a lot.

He would always go and eat in a Hard Rock cafe if there was one as he would buy the "Hard Rock Cafe - Tokyo" type T-shirt (which I assume can only be bought in the eatery where it is located).

He then came back to the UK and wear his various Hard Rock cafe T-shirts (Tokyo, Sydney, Amsterdam or whatever) thinking he impressed people (he didn't).

But I guess that may be some peoples reason for visiting these type of places.

Tennessee
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

Thanks for all your help! The reason I am planning on eating at the Hard Rock is because I am a very picky eater, I plan on trying lots of new food in London but have this planned as it is something I know I like.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

TBH, I wouldn't recommend the Rainforest Cafe in London. I haven't been to one in TN, but the ones near Chicago are much better than the one in London. I will admit I haven't been there since 2008, but the food was not as good and neither was the Rainforest.

Places my picky daughter (who is now less picky since we've travelled more) on our first trip were: Giraffe, Strada, Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Especially Strada. She didn't like the Rainforest Cafe, though. You can also get jacket potatoes many places, which are baked potatoes with fillings but you can get them plain or just with butter or whatever.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,197 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

I don't see the Tower of London on your list anywhere. It fits well with St Paul's (relatively nearby), and then you could do Buckingham Palace and St James's Park on the Westminster Abbey day (also nearby).

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: October 2012- Finalizing Plans and a Few Questions

Uhhhhhhhhhh, isn't the Hard Rock Cafe the ORIGINAL one? I was there back in the early 80s and I believe at the time it was the only one around. It may be American food, but it's a London original.