We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

My husband and I fly out of freezing cold, wet Melbourne for London tomorrow night. I am constantly looking at London's weather and it looks, well, terribly cold. Is there any point in packing summer clothes? We will be in London until the 2nd July. I am an optimist at heart and don't care a jot about the weather as long as I am dressed for it.

London
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

I wouldn't say it was cold - just rainy. Somewhat humid today - for London, anyway, you may have a different perception! Bring umbrella and light waterproof, and you should be fine.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 14:31
Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Bring clothes that you can dress in layers and of course a light raincoat and umbrella.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

I am afraid we have had possibly the worst spring and early summer weather ever (apart from a few nice days).

Even today, the longest day, we have woken to cloud and rain, and today I even put my central heating on for an hour to take off the chill.

Certainly the next 4 or 5 days look cloudy and dull, with a "high" of about 19 or 20 degrees celsius.

You may get some nice sunny weather near the end of your break (we cant usually predict more than about 4 or 5 days ahead here in the UK) so I would pack a minimum of summer clothes, and rush out to buy some if the weather improves near the end of next week.

Edited: 21 June 2012, 14:35
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Every train, shop and office I've been into today in London has been like a Turkish Bath. It's humid outside, muggy, damp and about 20C but it's definately a bit sweaty indoors.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,488 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Might as well as bring some winter woollies looking at the temperatures for the coming week. A brolly might help too!

Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate your information. I would never have thought about the humidity. Let's hope Black Caviar likes it muggy, then! Just can't wait to get to your wonderful city!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Don't leave the summer clothes behind. If and when the sun does come out it will be very warm. Our annual pattern seems to be a fine early July and then the heavens open again until September. And I agree with those above: today is humid and soggy but not cold: bring brollies and raincoats rather than lots of woollens.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,042 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

It really isn't cold but it is muggy esp on tubes and buses. If you overdress you'll just expire on the tube and indoors in many cases.

Bring layers and good (ie broken in ) shoes and you'll be fine. A light raincoat/cagoule with hood or a brolly would be a good idea.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

I would think you'll be fine with T-shirt and waterproofs or T-shirt, fleece and waterproofs. Please don't use a brolly though - those things should be classed as offensive weapons and on busy London streets are a real hazard (and annoyance) to those who don't use them. I've lost count of the number of times I have been poked in the head by their extremities by people who don't know how to be a little more courteous.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there any point in packing summer clothes?

Many retailers are already discounting/trying to offload summer clothes due to the wash-out its been - you could probably pick some things up at a good price if the sun actually returns.