We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

I would love some ideas on what I’ve already chosen with my 12 year old daughter and what other ideas you could help me out with.

Change things, add things, swap things?

Tues 11th Sept : Arrive into Heathrow 7am - Need to get to Bayswater to check in - Hop on hop off bus with oyster card - big ben house of parliament – Westminster abbey

Wed 12th Sept: Tower of London - St Paul's Cathedral

Thurs 13th Sept: Windsor Castle - Windsor hop on hop off bus around Windsor – Back to London Lion King Show (7:30pm)

Fri 14th Sept: Stonehenge - Salisbury – Bath – London Fri night ghost tour (7:30pm)

Sat 15th Sept: Camden Markets - Science Museum, Victoria - Albert Museum - Natural History Museum

Sun -16th Sept: Train to Paris 9am from LONDON ST-PANCRAS

1. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2012, 09:10
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

Few other things Ive looked into on the "days out guide" website

Hampton Court Palace?

Tower Bridge Exhibition?

Strawberry Hill?

Boat trips?

Royal Observatory Greenwich?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

Generally speaking you've partitioned the days pretty well.

The HOHO bus can't be used with Oyster as it's a paid for tour, unless you want to put together a DIY tour using regular buses like this - londonforfree.net/outdoors/…bustour.shtml

Friday - I wouldn't book the Lion King for after a full day coach tour. It's always possible that the coach from Bath to London (that's more than 100 miles) could be held up in traffic and hence you arrive back late. If I were you I'd reschedule the Lion King to another evening. I'd also question whether to do that coach tour as your day will be 25% looking at attractions and 75% sitting on a bus.

Saturday - You'll probably struggle to visit all those museums, so prioritize which would be important for you and your daughter. The Science, NH and V&A are all next to each other, so there's no having to get transport between them, just think about the time you have available.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 03:44
Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

I do feel like im cramming in allot.

Here are my changes

Tues 11th Sept : Arrive into Heathrow 7am - Need to get to Bayswater to check in - Hop on hop off bus, get a feel of london...any ideas?

Wed 12th Sept: Tower of London - St Paul's Cathedral...call it a day?

Thurs 13th Sept: Open to ideas in London ??

Fri 14th Sept: Stonehenge - Salisbury – Bath – London Fri night ghost tour (7:30pm)

Sat 15th Sept: Camden Markets - British museum... Something else or all it a day?

Sun -16th Sept: Train to Paris 9am

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

I would say stay in London for the short time you have. There is plenty to do.

In case you change your mind about Windsor, please do *not* take the hop on hop off bus there. In many cities it is very good, but sadly it is overpriced and not very worthwhile in Windsor. I have yet to hear anything but complaints, and you can get to most place on foot.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

>>>Fri 14th Sept: Stonehenge - Salisbury – Bath – London Fri night ghost tour (7:30pm)

This looks like a horrrbile day to me, where you will spend HOURS on the coach and about 45 minutes at Stonehenge, and an hour or so in Salisbury and Bath.

And unless your 12 daughter is facinated by standing stones she will be bored at Stonehenge (maybe in Salisbury and Bath as well).

The thought of going on at ghost tour at 7.30 after that day does not bear thinking about.

As others have said, you seem to be doing far too much outside London.

London is huge and is one of the great cities of the world. You could EASILY spend a week going round it and not see everything.

Drop one of the days outside London and spend the day IN London.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

>>>>Friday - I wouldn't book the Lion King for after a full day coach tour. It's always possible that the coach from Bath.....

They are doing the Lion King after going to Windsor on Thursday.

It is the ghost tour after going to Bath on Friday.

But I agree that doing anything like that (be it Lion King OR ghost tour) is just too much.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

Oops, my bad, I misread the original post (Lion King is indeed Thursday). Glad you agree that to plan anything (including the ghost tour) after a return coach trip from Bath is risky.

Peter, personally for the Friday I'd choose either Stonehenge/Salisbury or Bath. You can then do either as a DIY using the train (Salisbury from Waterloo or Bath from Paddington). Doing all three is going to be a very long day. And actually (my opinion only) I'd put Windsor above both the above, for both convenience and historical importance.

Shepperton...
Level Contributor
270 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

Hi Peter. I would be wary of putting too much into each day. My girls are 12 and 14 and if you try to put too much into the day your daughter will get very tired and won't enjoy the things you have planned. A bit like eating too much icecream - first few mouthfulls are great, but once you've eaten the whole tub you wish you'd never started!

Day 1

I think your idea of hoho then Wesminster Abbey is good. And it's just across the road from Big Ben, Houses of Parliament.

Day 2

Tower of London & St Paul's. Yes - plenty for one day. Consider taking the Thames Clipper to Tower and St Paul's. The boat stops at both. If you buy a river rover, you can also stay on the boat and see O2 and Greenwich (you don't have to get off). Gives you a chance to relax (there is also a bar/Costa on board).

Day 3

I would stay in London if you are going to the Lion King in the evening. How about doing one of your museums then? Maybe the Science Museum with a visit to the Imax there. Great hands on stuff for kids there. Also, you are near Hyde Park, so you could go to there and maybe rent a boat with your daughter. Or maybe walk down to Harrods and treat her to afternoon tea. You can book this and children are half price. They still get the same amount of tea - really good value with kids and mine just love the big toy department there.

Also - if you haven't booked your theatre tickets yet, remember that kids go free to theatre in August with the Kids Week promotion. They often extend this to early September, so worth keeping an eye on this:

http://www.kidsweek.co.uk/how-to-book/

Day 4

Please reconsider this coach tour. You will spend a very long time on the coach and you will both be very tired when you get back. You will not want to go on the ghost tour after that. Why don't you book train tickets to Bath instead. You will see lots of lovely countyside as you wizz through and relax on the train and you can easily fill a day in Bath. I would say - see one sight properly by train - do not do this coach trip.

Day 5

British Museum and Camden Market sounds fun.

Hope you have a great time.

10. Re: Itinerary advice for our London Trip In Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:45