We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Pancras Eurostar

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
St Pancras Eurostar

My Eurostar to Paris leaves at 7:31. I need to cash out my Oyster card and get some euros. How much additional time should I budget beyond the traditional 30 minutes before departure?

Also, whats the best way to accomplish these two tasks?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
945 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

For the Euros I would wait until I got to Paris then go to an ATM in or near the Gare du Nord. Better rate of exchange than you'd get anywhere in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Nord
Nord
Hauts-de-France, France
Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

I don't think you could do your Oyster card at the Eurostar part of St Pancras station you would have to be in the domestic part or the Underground part.

I'd give yourself more time maybe another 30 minutes.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

< How much additional time should I budget beyond the traditional 30 minutes before departure? >

30 minutes is the * minimum * time you need to allow before departure. 45 minutes or so is much better. You have to go through security and immigration control, and boarding of the train starts 15 to 20 minutes before departure.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

What Colin says, 30 minutes is the *minimum*. Plan for 30, get stuck on a tube for 10-15 and you have a problem, Houston :-)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,314 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

You would need to hand in your Oyster Card at the Underground ticket office. I'd allow a good 15 minutes for this just in case there is a queue.

As for getting Euros, I would be tempted to wait until getting to Paris, then draw some out using your ATM card. If not having any Euros when arriving in Paris feels too risky for you, you could always obtain some a day or so before.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
663 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

I'll be arriving by tube from South Kensington station. Once I get off the tube will there by a ticket booth down there that can cash out the oyster card?

I'll get some euros the day before in case I have a problem with my credit card getting Metro tickets & renting luggage lockers in Gare de Lyon which require cash I believe (I have a chip & pin card).

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,187 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

You can get a carnet at St Pancras in the departure lounge. It might be a fraction more in £ but worth it if cash is a factor. If you want to buy Euros beforehand I find Thomas Global (on the Strand and a few other places has excellent exchange rates).

The ticket hall for Kings Cross is at the top of the escalators on the way out so head therefore before continuing on to St Pancras.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,468 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

If there is a queue at the Piccadilly line ticket office (at the top of the escalator up from the platforms) carry on through the subway (underground walkway) as you will pass another ticket office for the Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines.

You'll see stairs and a lift up to the main concourse at St Pancras at the far end of the subway, with the Circle line ticket office on the left as you walk from the Piccadilly line.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

If there's any chance you may be coming back in the next two or three years (or even longer) you could always keep your Oyster and be ready to go next time you arrive.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
296 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Pancras Eurostar

Definitely buy a carnet of Paris metro tickets once you are in the Eurostar departure lounge at St Pancras - it saves lots of faffing about at Gare du Nord when you arrive in Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Nord
Nord
Hauts-de-France, France