We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oyster Card ??

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Oyster Card ??

Hi All

Confused about this card. Would it be best for me to pre-order it before we leave,we are from Canada, and pre-load say 20 GBP, or just get it when we arrive? We already have a 7 day pass, but are 4 days short so was looking at this card for travel around city. Tips/Hints would be appreciate. First time to London so travel is confusing. Thanks

Cheers

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Oyster Card ??

No need to pre-order, easier to pick it upon arrival. If you need it for four days, it may be better to buy a 7 day Travelcard (whether you put it on an Oyster card or get a paper ticket from a railway station will depend on whether you want to use the 2-4-1 offers) tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c133479/Lon…

What 7 day pass do have? Is it a Travelcard from TFL? Is it a London Pass and did you buy the Travel Option as well?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oyster Card ??

We have the London Pass with Travel for 7 days, however we are there gor 10 days so we are short a few days thats why I was enquiring about the oyster for a few days.

Cheers

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oyster Card ??

< We have the London Pass with Travel for 7 days >

Pity - for getting the London Pass, let alone getting it with the travel option.

Good job you have another 4 days as you'll need it to see the world class free sights

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oyster Card ??

alanrow

It was recommended to us by members of this forum whom will remain nameless. I realize there are FREE places to visit but you still have to get there. Londons a big place as you know, thus the questions on travel. Do you have anything to add to the question??

Cheerrs

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Oyster Card ??

Just for future reference, unless you are staying in Zone 6, the Travel Option from London Pass is not an economical transport option.

For three days (10 day trip - 7 day London Pass), probably best to just buy an Oyster Card (£5 deposit) and load £15 cash (£20 total). You can always top it off if you need to. Then turn it in at the end of your trip for the return of the deposit and any unused cash.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oyster Card ??

Thanks tex. Should we ore-order or get there.

Cheers

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oyster Card ??

No need to pre-order, just pick it up when you are in London.

london
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oyster Card ??

Re #4

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k27102…

"The travel option on the Londonpass is fairly poor value, or that's how I view it."

"Depending on the cost of the pass now, it may be worth it for you but NOT with the travel option!"

"As TravellerPlus says, the travel option is definitely NOT a bargain. "

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oyster Card ??

I get quite angry at the sheer effrontery of the London Pass people selling a zones 1-6 travelcard. It's a rip-off, pure and simple. Most tourists are highly unlikely to travel outsides zones 1/2 at all. If they need to, they can buy an extension ticket just for that journey. If LP want to offer a zones 1-6 option for the few who choose to base themselves that far out of town, then they should at least offer zones 1/2 as well, and make it clear what the difference is. But getting the unwitting to pay upfront for 7 days of unlimited travel through mile after mile of (to the visitor) very dull suburbia and commuter towns is dishonest.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oyster Card ??

"It was recommended to us by members of this forum whom will remain nameless."

Surprising, as the general consensus on this forum is that the London Pass is not worth it.