We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
37 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

An older person is joining us in London and we have learned that taxis cost at least 100 pounds to get from Gatwick to the NH Kensington Hotel. Does anyone know of a service that might cost a bit less? I was thinking, to make it easier for the person who is flying into Gatwick, maybe we could find a livery service where the person would go inside and hold up a sign with her name. All rides might cost the same, but sometimes there are companies who do charge less. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

What does "an older person" mean? Are they unable to walk far or to carry their luggage? Are they able to catch a train by themselves? If so that followed by a taxi in London to the hotel, would be maybe £25 total.

I would expect a taxi straight off the rank would cost £100, you could probably prearrange a taxi service ( where the driver meets them) for maybe ££70.

Or you could take half a day out, catch the train down meet them and train back with them for maybe £50. Depends how much you value time vs money.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

Here are some airport transfer services so you can check prices:

www.simplyairports.co.uk

www.handicars.co.uk

www.justairports.com

www.exclusiveairports.com

www.swisscottagecars.com

www.expressways.co.uk

Edited: 26 June 2012, 00:43
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,387 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

For the record, I use this one.

www.expressways.co.uk

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k488…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,018 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

I'm wondering why you want a non-military uniform

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,718 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

What you mean is a private hire company (like a taxi but not on a meter), but you have to remember it is a long journey.

The train would be easier!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,069 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

Can your friend manage a train or bus? If so a train to Victoria plus cab would be no more than about £30-35, possibly less. A bus to Victoria coach station would be cheaper (c.£8 for seniors, i.e. over 60) plus £10-15 for the cab.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,055 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

The road journey from Gatwick to central London is a long one, and if your friend arrives at the airport early in the morning on a weekday the drive will be very unpleasant.

The walk from Arrivals to the rail station at LGW is step free; there are lifts and escalators from the ticket hall to the Gatwick Express platforms, which are also at grade at London Victoria. The taxi rank at that rail station is about 75m from the arrivals platforms at Victoria.

London
Level Contributor
10,210 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

The road journey from Gatwick to central London is usually purgatory, sometimes worse. A train into Victoria station then a taxi from there will be so much faster and cheaper.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,605 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a type of livery service from Gatwick London hotel

This journey I have done using a car service www.simplyairports.co.uk will give you a quote

however only worthwhile if you have mobility issues or like me have rather a lot of luggage

train is faster and cheaper