We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Ben renamed

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Big Ben renamed

Actually it's the tower in which Big Ben sits that is being renamed from The Clock Tower to The Elizabeth Tower. See www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18592966

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Big Ben renamed

If you said you'll meet someone outside King's Cross Station and you meant Euston Station, you would miss each other. If you arrange to meet someone by Big Ben you won't, regardless of whether you mean the clock or the tower. The first example refers to two completely different places, the latter refers to a name and a place that everyone knows regardless of whether it is official or not. Besides, Big Ben IS the name of the tower by popular usage. Everyone knows what is meant by it.

Edited: 26 June 2012, 21:44
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Big Ben renamed

I agree with those who go with "popular usage" here.

Do you say Florence, or Firenzi?

Rome or Roma?

Japan or Nihon?

Côte d'Ivoire or Ivory Coast?

Mumbai or Bombay?

Myanmar or Burma?

Just say Big Ben....there's only one.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Big Ben renamed

The difference is the tower has NEVER been officially known as "Big Ben"....except by people under under a misapprehension.

All those examples you've listed are just places that have changed their names at some point, or have different names due to language differences.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Big Ben renamed

You know what really scares me?

Frankensteins. Those tall green guys with bolts through their necks. Scare the bejesus out of me.

Oh, but they aren't Frankensteins, because the monster was never given a name in Mary Shelley's book.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Big Ben renamed

I don't know Bungle...you could argue that it has *always* been called Big Ben...just never officially. And the last two of my list are not due to language differences.

All I know is that if I hop into a cab in London and say, "Take me to Big Ben" I am not going to get a quizzical look from the man in the front seat. He'll know where to go.

How about Blighty? Know where that is? Certainly isn't "official"...

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Big Ben renamed

Sorry some posters. I am English to start with. Despite the new name of the tower which I think is stupid most of us will stick with Big Ben! Personal choice really and I am not against the monarchy at all.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Big Ben renamed

It will go the same way as that time years ago when they decided to amalgamate many of the counties into another name.

Ignored by all, everybody carried on just the same, it will be the same here.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Big Ben renamed

Maybe if they renamed the bell AND the tower it would reduce the frequency of this old argument. ;)

ktown

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Big Ben renamed

Excellent suggestion, Ktown.

Alpena Mi
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Big Ben renamed

@ Dicanio lol I love showing my silly American friends and family pics of Tower Bridge and asking them to name it. Its amazing just how many really do think its London Bridge. Then when I show them the real London Bridge they dont believe me lol