We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Ben renamed

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Big Ben renamed

Actually it's the tower in which Big Ben sits that is being renamed from The Clock Tower to The Elizabeth Tower. See www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18592966

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Big Ben renamed

At the risk of being identified as the second most boring person here:

Florence/Firenze, Rome/Roma, Japan/Nihon, and Côte d'Ivoire/Ivory Coast is simply a matter of names given in their names in English and in the original language, though the Ivorians somewhat eccentrically object to our using their country's name in an almost direct translation into our own language. Mumbai/Bombay was a political decision connected with the city's colonial history. Myanmar/Burma is a very political one as those who object to the current government argue that as that government is illegitimate it is not competent to change the country's name.

Big Ben/The Clock Tower is therefore not quite the same. One is its colloquial name, which is understood universally, even by people who pretend not to understand it, the other is an official name that is not widely used, though I suppose that "The Clock Tower of the Palace of Westminster" would identify it quite easily.

I suppose that raises the question, do we say "The Palace of Westminster" or "The Houses of Parliament". I opt for the former, as it describes the building rather than the political bodies meeting within its walls.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Big Ben renamed

I think this debate should be dropped. We all have our own opinions and have to accept the differences. Arguing about this issue won't help travellers and I don't understand why the subject got brought up in the first place.

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Big Ben renamed

The tower is old and just sits there. Naming it after Elizabeth is fitting.

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Big Ben renamed

ktowntravllr, if they re-named both the bell and the tower, that would make peiple even more determined to refer to it as "Big Ben". The reality being that people do not like to be told what to do by the powers that be.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Big Ben renamed

Naming it after Elizabeth is fitting.

==================================

Actually QE2 is the complete reverse, being still one of the busiest and active Royals at 86 as recent events have shown.

(Speaking as one who is Royal agnostic).

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Big Ben renamed

I agree it is an appropriate change of name for that part of the building. After all the big tower at the other end is the Victoria Tower. Although I know that it is the bell that is Big Ben, personally I have always considered it to be the clock as well but not the tower.

37. Re: Big Ben renamed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16