We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Thanks in advance for the ideas...my wife and I are visiting my son, who is working in London for the summer. We want to spend 2 days seeing London, and then take him out of the city for a day trip, to see the countryside or something special outside of the city. We would leave early AM and return to London that same day.

Any advice for the 2 days in London and for the 1 day Day Trip?

Thanks!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

There are many Quant towns in the UK. Anywhere you come across the girls dressed in miniskirts.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Didn't she "pop her clogs" not so long ago?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,044 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Not sure how Quant the towns might be since the girls will probably wear those dire Ugg boots with their miniskirts rather than the requisite Courreges go-go boots for that dashing 1960s look.

Rye on the south coast is an easy trip from London and makes for a nice day out. Southend-on-sea could be interesting as well, an easy trip from London as well. If it's not to be a seaside visit then Windsor or Oxford would be the business.

MQ is still with us; are you thinking of Vidal Sassoon, Hooameye? He was responsible for the fab geometric haircuts that went so well with MQ's designs.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 23:42
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,631 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

If your son is working in London he probably has several ideas already about where he would like to go to get out of London.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

"MQ is still with us; are you thinking of Vidal Sassoon, Hooameye?"

Possibly, saw something on the telly about her a few weeks ago but it may have been about V.S. passing away.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,065 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Will you have a car or be going by train?

By train one of my favorite day trips was York, but you have to buy those tickets in advance or they're really expensive. I've also liked Canterbury, Rochester, and Dover, all of which I think I just bought tickets for on the day. I've heard of people doing both Canterbury and Dover in one day by train, but I haven't tried it and it seems like a really long day.

If you have specific interests, let us know, as it would be easier to recommend things you would like.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 00:04
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

You Brits and your sense of humour.

Mike, look at this list:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

Edited: 29 June 2012, 00:19
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

A coastal location I would choose Brighton.

Inland Windsor or Oxford.

Re the dead people it was Vidal Sassoon who died last month. Mary Quant is still alive.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

You might find this article helpful. I wrote it about my favorite places in London and doing day trips by train. Personally, my favorite is Windsor, followed by York. Windsor is an easy 25-30 min. train ride from Paddington (1 easy change at Slough). Trains go several times every hour and there is no price advantage to buying tickets early, so you could pick your day based on weather, etc. You can tour the castle and grounds (and St. George's chaple), then walk around the town- even over to Eaton. Windsor has great shopping of all kinds from 'high street' department stores to market type 'stalls' at the old station. You can even take a cruise down the Thames and get a different view of the castle.

York is about a 2-2 1/2 hour train trip. You would probably want to try for discounted advance purchase tickets. I love the Shambles and the market. The minster is lovely and the Jorvic museum is actually fun.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c176673/Londo…

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Day Trip To London w/ 1 Day Trip To A Quant Town...Ideas?

Consider Stamford - the best stone built town in Britain with Burghley House right next door. Great pubs too.

Car - straight up the A1

Train - from Kings Cross, change at Peterborough